Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mbespartochnyy
Creator III
Creator III

QlikView Stuck in Personal Edition

Hello everyone,

I'm running into odd issues with activating a user license for an account. I read through this post and this one, which talk about how license leasing works, but I'm still a bit unclear as to what is happening and why.

I have a service account that is used to run jobs in production - let's call it QVAdminAccount. This QVAdminAccount was assigned a license on prod QV server - let's call it QVProdServer1. I have an old server (let's call it NPServer1) that runs NPrinting and uses the QVAdminAccount to run NPrinting tasks. So one account is used to run tasks on two different machines and is using one license on each machine.

I am in the process of setting up few new servers to run NPrinting jobs and needed to activate a license for the same account on the new server. The old NPServer1 server will be going away and will be replaced by NPServer2. In the process of installation, I made a mistake and installed and activated a license on QSServer1 for QVAdminAccount. So QVAdminAccount had a license leased to it on QVProdServer1, NPServer1, and QSServer1 without any issues. Now, since QSServer1 is the wrong server, I went ahead and cleared license for QVAdminAccount on QSServer1 and attempted to activate in on the fourth server - the new NPServer2, but I couldn't lease a license. The version of QlikView stayed in Personal Edition on NPServer2. I was able to open apps using the Open in Server option in QlikView, but the version of QlikView never changed from Personal Edition to a licensed version and I couldn't open any of the QVW documents locally.

I understand that there is a limit of number of attempts on different machines a single user can lease a license and a limit on number of leased licenses that a single user can have. What I don't understand is if I went ahead and cleared license information from all except one machine for a user - let's say, I cleared license information for QVAdminAccount on all servers except for QVProdServer1, at what point will it allow me to attempt to lease a license again?

This post says "A single user can lease up to two licenses to two separate workstations within a 24 hour / 7 day period". 24 hours and 7 days are massively different periods of time. Has anyone faced this before? Am I stuck and have to wait until tomorrow before attempting to lease a license and resuming work on setup of new NPrinting servers or did QMC locked me out for a week?

Mikhail B.

Labels (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hello,

Based on the details provided, you've identified the problem already: The license was leased to too many machines and the quarantine on the unused ones needs to be lifted before you can proceed.

The quarantine period itself depends on what version you are on. Old versions had a quarantine of 24 hours. The quarantine of the below versions and up has increased to 7 days:

• QlikView 11.20 SR18
  • QlikView 12.00 SR6 
  • QlikView 12.10 and later

To clarify:

A Named CAL (which can be leased to a Desktop Client to unlock the Personal Edition), is intended to be dedicated to a user/person. The expectation is that they would not be using the Desktop Client on too many machines in too quick succession, and therefore have a limitation placed on how many can be leased at once. 

Two clients/workstations are fine. From the third one on, license lease is denied. 

At this point, to be able to lease a license to the correct machine, you'd either need to temporarily use another user with a named CAL assigned, or wait until the quarantine has passed for the incorrect/old leases.

/Sonja

Don't forget to Like posts and use the "Accept as Solution" button on content that answered your question! Thanks 🙂

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Sonja_Bauernfeind
Digital Support
Digital Support

Hello,

Based on the details provided, you've identified the problem already: The license was leased to too many machines and the quarantine on the unused ones needs to be lifted before you can proceed.

The quarantine period itself depends on what version you are on. Old versions had a quarantine of 24 hours. The quarantine of the below versions and up has increased to 7 days:

• QlikView 11.20 SR18
  • QlikView 12.00 SR6 
  • QlikView 12.10 and later

To clarify:

A Named CAL (which can be leased to a Desktop Client to unlock the Personal Edition), is intended to be dedicated to a user/person. The expectation is that they would not be using the Desktop Client on too many machines in too quick succession, and therefore have a limitation placed on how many can be leased at once. 

Two clients/workstations are fine. From the third one on, license lease is denied. 

At this point, to be able to lease a license to the correct machine, you'd either need to temporarily use another user with a named CAL assigned, or wait until the quarantine has passed for the incorrect/old leases.

/Sonja

Don't forget to Like posts and use the "Accept as Solution" button on content that answered your question! Thanks 🙂
mbespartochnyy
Creator III
Creator III
Author

I see. I have QlikView 12.20 SR6 installed so it sounds like I have to put everything on hold for a week. I tried swapping accounts in for nPrinting services, but that didn't work well. I ran into additional issues there (topic for a different thread).

I definitely wish there was an easier or quicker way to correct this issue. I was under impression that if I clear the license on one machine for a user and jump onto another one, activate it there, I wouldn't run into any issues. My thinking was that if license has been deactivated for a user on one machine, that user will no longer be able to use activated version of QlikView on that machine so the license for a machine would go back to the pool of licenses available per user to use on a different machine. Which sounds like it does, but then I can't go back to that pool of licenses, pick it back up and use it on the machine that I need...I just have to look at it...every day, for a week...swimming there, in a pool of licenses, available for me to use it but at the same time restricted from use. It is very frustrating. I hope this rule will be revised so Qlik customers wouldn't be punished so harshly for making a small mistake.