Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reload data from source automatically

Hi,

I'm a total newbie to deployment, and i need help reloading from source?

Thanks

12 Replies
sujeetsingh
Master III
Master III

Just create atask and shedule it to a required time of reloade and duration...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the quick response, but how do i link it to the data source now that the decument is on the server?

sujeetsingh
Master III
Master III

In server there are setings for all datasourses...and yes the cinnetion string will do it...

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

On the server, you have to recreate all connections to the data sources you are loading from. Just like the original model designer did in the QV Desktop. For instance:

• OLEDB: install the driver for your RDBMS on the server, and make sure the DB server can be reached. The connection string will do the rest.
  • ODBC: use WIndows ODBC manager to create the necessary DSNs that you use in your script. This requires a bigger effort if you're not into that sort of thing.
  • Excel and other table files: make sure that those files can be reached via the path specifications in your LOAD statements. Drive letters may get you a few surprises here.

Pay attention to authorizations: the QVS is running under another account than the designer of the document. Possibly this account is not authorized to access network, DBs or other required sources. I would suggest to ask a system administrator for help.

Best,

Peter

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Ooops, the last few exchanges in this thread have disappeared. I'll post again if you need further clarification.

Peter

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Sorry about that, i would really appreciate further clarification.

Thanks

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Well, you asked me where in the QMC you can manage your data source connections. There is no such place. You'll have to configure your server envrionment so that it corresponds to the data source specs inside the load script. The 3 tasks in my previous reply are to be executed in the Windows environment. For example, if you specify in your script something like

LOAD A, B, C FROM N:\data\Transactions.xls (...);

then before publishing this model on your server you'll have to make sure that the service account that runs QVS/QVP on the server knows about drive N:, can access the network and has permissions to open the Excel file.

When reloading, QVS/QMC/QVP cannot change anything that is hardcoded in your script (except by passing values in variables). So you either adapt your load script so that it changes data access methods when running in a different environment (for example by way of an $(Include) that insert platform-specific data access parameters) or you change your server environment so that is replicates the data source availability of your development environment.

Best,

Peter

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

So then I have to move the data source unto the server and change the directory in the scripts, right? suppose they are excels in a folder.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Not necessarily.

If the folder containing your excels is shared - on a file server for example - you can leave them where they are. Grant the service account access to this shared folder and QVS can access it like you do in your development environment.

If the Excels reside on your own development PC, then you better move them to a file server.

LOAD statements should contain paths to data sources that work on all platforms, like \\Fileserver\data\Transactions.xls. If you move your QlikView document to the server, no script changes are needed.

Best,

Peter