Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AliAzizi
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

The order servers in a clustered environment should be restarted

Hi

We have a clustered environment containing a backend server (QMC, QDS, DSC) and two frontend servers (QVS). Every time the servers are stopped due to e.g. server security patching and restarted again, we got problems with:

- sometimes QVS are not running due to "Off duty" issue

- IIS is not running on one of the two frontend servers

Is there any specified order QlikView servers in a clustered environment should be restarted on: frontend servers first or backend server?

Br

3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I usually restart the services starting with QMS and QDS and once those are back, then the DSC. Then restart the QVS on IIS since they are the ones that just serve up the QVWs.

I can't say this how it should be done, but it makes the most sense logically and I haven't experienced any issues.

francoiswiid
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Normally the sequence doesn't matter, the services will just 'find' each other after a while. But here are my comments around this:

DSC is used by QVWS & QDS to connect to LDAP and DSC doesn't require anything from other services.

So I'd start with that.

QVWS connects to QVS (or QVS cluster) and to a DSC when it starts up, so I'd make sure that the QVS nodes & DSC it uses is up before QVWS gets started.

QVS nodes are pretty much stand-alone.

QDS uses DSC.

Finally QMC connects to all the other services to check if they are up and to allow you to configure their settings. If QMC is started first, it might complain for a few seconds or minutes while it waits for the other services to start.

So I'd say start the services in this sequence: QVS > DSC > QDS > QVWS > QMC

Again, this should really not be necessary in normal circumstances.

AliAzizi
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

Dear francois

Thank you for your reply and have a nice weekend