Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fredericvillemi
Creator III
Creator III

Use Publisher to distribute on a Server which has a reload service ?

Hello,

The question in one sentence is not very clear but I'm sure you will understand.

We have a big standalone Qlikview Server S1.

We are using the normal Distribution task without Publisher and we have many schedules.

We have just bought Publisher and I have installed it on another server S2 with QMC and DSC only.

It works correctly and it refreshes documents.

Now I have a very important question : can I define S1 as a destination server (Distribute to) from S2 without removing all my refreshes configured on S1.

I mean, I want to make a slow transition from Server standalone to Publisher and I want to use Publisher to refresh only a few documents and keep all other documents configured on the main Server with the legacy schedules.

Is it possible ?

Adding S1 as distribute destination from S2 wont' break all my schedules on S1 ?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

As Rob already explained, the Publisher is another name for the QDS service. But the QDS service is doing the reloads on every machine, whether you have installed a Publisher license or not.

In the past and because of not having configured a Publisher license, you only had a Reload tab for every document in your User Documents folder. But behind the scenes, there was a QDS service that is exactly the same as the one currently running on S2. And it worked in the exact same way as the current one.

The only difference between the two "Publisher" versions, aside from residing on different platforms, is that the one on S1 doesn't offer you much of configuration options in QMC, while the licensed one causes an entire world of task tabs and Publisher settings to appear in QMC. But it's still the same process...

The Publisher license implies the following: one license applies to one QDS. If you move the licensed QDS to S2, you'll have to disable the original one. If you still want to use the reload engine on S1, you'll have to buy a second Publisher license and configure that one on S1.

Best,

Peter

View solution in original post

8 Replies
fredericvillemi
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thanks for this really interesting link. I understand the good way to do.

But my question was a bit more complicated : I still want to use the Distribution Service (not Publisher) on my Qlikview Server and start using remote Publisher to distribute to this server.

I don't see this configuration in the document and I want to be sure it won't break my Server settings before trying it

Thanks

YoussefBelloum
Champion
Champion

I can't help you more because i have not yet faced this problem.

rwunderlich‌ can maybe tell you more ?

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

"Publisher" is not a separate service, it's just extended function made available in the Distribution Service. If I understand correctly your distribution service is currently running on S1. For distribution, you are using "Distribute to Server S1".

You want to add another Distribution Service on S2 and slowly migrate reloads from S1 to S2.  You cannot do that without purchasing a cluster license. You can only have one Distribution Service with a standard license.

-Rob

fredericvillemi
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thanks for your answer Rob.

Just would like some details.

My big server is S1 : It has DSC, QMS, QVS and QVWS. All reloads are made with server's built-in refreshes (either schedules or EDX)

My new server is S2 : It has DSC, QMS and QDS (Publisher).  I don't want to have a QVS on this one.

I would like to start using S2/QDS to refresh and publish documents on QVS of S1. But I don't want to stop using the built-in scheduler of S1 (which doesn't appear as QDS). When I saw the option to Distribute to a Qlikview Server, I thought it was a good solution to do that but I don't want to break all the refreshes of S1.

Your answer may not be the same with these explanations

Thanks

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

As Rob already explained, the Publisher is another name for the QDS service. But the QDS service is doing the reloads on every machine, whether you have installed a Publisher license or not.

In the past and because of not having configured a Publisher license, you only had a Reload tab for every document in your User Documents folder. But behind the scenes, there was a QDS service that is exactly the same as the one currently running on S2. And it worked in the exact same way as the current one.

The only difference between the two "Publisher" versions, aside from residing on different platforms, is that the one on S1 doesn't offer you much of configuration options in QMC, while the licensed one causes an entire world of task tabs and Publisher settings to appear in QMC. But it's still the same process...

The Publisher license implies the following: one license applies to one QDS. If you move the licensed QDS to S2, you'll have to disable the original one. If you still want to use the reload engine on S1, you'll have to buy a second Publisher license and configure that one on S1.

Best,

Peter

fredericvillemi
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hello Peter,

I understand your point, just one detail though :

"If you move the licensed QDS to S2, you'll have to disable the original one. If you still want to use the reload engine on S1, you'll have to buy a second Publisher license and configure that one on S1."

As I don't have Publisher licence on S1, you mean that I will still have to disable the Distribution  Service on S1 to be able to distribute from S2 ?

Thanks

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

No, not really. You can keep the S1 QDS running but you won't be able to configure it anymore without another Publisher license. As soon as the QMC interface changes, it assumes licensed Publishers everywhere, and that's not the case on S1. So you better disable it...