Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fredericvillemi
Creator III
Creator III

Use a desktop 12.4 for publishing on a Server 12.1

Hello,

I'm developing QlikView Applications on my Desktop with a 12.1 desktop Client to publish on a 12.1 Enterprise Server

I would like to test the 12.4 desktop client (april 2019 SR3) but the Server won't be updated soon.

Do you think I can use the 12.4 desktop to create and publish applications on Server 12.1 ?

I presume the official answer would be "no" but do you have experiences on total failure or on the fact that it works except of course for the features that don't exist in 12.1 ? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

I would NOT advise this, as if you use any new functionality in the 12.40 Client, that may result in the QVServer crashing at that point and also editing older versions of files in a newer Desktop Client and then putting back on an older QVServer or having Publisher then reload and distribute will likely eventually cause QVW file corruption too.  It may take a while, but it will likely eventually happen, so I would keep things on the same major point release. 

You can run both 12.10 and 12.40 Desktop Clients on your machine, so you could use 12.40 to look at things etc., but any time you need to update something and put it back on the server, be sure to use the 12.10 version in that case.

Basically what you do is take your 12.10 QV.exe and copy that over to another folder, then run the install for 12.40, what this will do is make 12.40 your default installation, so double-clicking a file etc. will open things using the 12.40 client, and if you want to work in 12.10, you go to the QV.exe file you copied and launch that and then do a File\Open etc.  You can also reverse this to have 12.10 as the default and 12.40 would be the manual one.  Hopefully this makes some sense.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

I would NOT advise this, as if you use any new functionality in the 12.40 Client, that may result in the QVServer crashing at that point and also editing older versions of files in a newer Desktop Client and then putting back on an older QVServer or having Publisher then reload and distribute will likely eventually cause QVW file corruption too.  It may take a while, but it will likely eventually happen, so I would keep things on the same major point release. 

You can run both 12.10 and 12.40 Desktop Clients on your machine, so you could use 12.40 to look at things etc., but any time you need to update something and put it back on the server, be sure to use the 12.10 version in that case.

Basically what you do is take your 12.10 QV.exe and copy that over to another folder, then run the install for 12.40, what this will do is make 12.40 your default installation, so double-clicking a file etc. will open things using the 12.40 client, and if you want to work in 12.10, you go to the QV.exe file you copied and launch that and then do a File\Open etc.  You can also reverse this to have 12.10 as the default and 12.40 would be the manual one.  Hopefully this makes some sense.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
fredericvillemi
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hello Brett,

I think that is the best answer i could have.

Instead of just telling me i should not do that like any support guy would have done, you have given me the very good solution for testing 12.4 while still publishing with 12.10.

I will install both versions on my computer and test everything on 12.4 without losing compatibility with my server by publishing 12.1 versions. That's great , i had not thought i could have both versions on the same computer.

Thanks for your answer

fredericvillemi
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hello Brett,

I was really happy with your answer and just tried to install 12.5 near my production 12.1 version.

And it really failed because it forced me to unistall 12.1 before installing 12.5. 

All my 12.1 executable were removed and now I'm in 12.5

I tried to install the 12.1 with the 12.5 and of course it failed because it requires me to uninstall 12.5

What is the way to do it properly as your idea to install both version doesn't work at all ?

Thanks

fredericvillemi
Creator III
Creator III
Author

I have read again your message and the tricky part is that I must manually copy the Qlikview folder than uninstall and install another version to keep both on the same computer.

I hope you will confirm and i hope i have not lost anything by doing it badly at first time

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Yeah, sorry for the confusion, but you are correct, the 'trick' is to determine which version you want to be the 'default', that one needs to be installed last.  What you do on the other one, is install, then go find the QV.exe file from that installation, which is C:\Program Files\QlikView by default, copy that out to another location, so when you uninstall/install again, you still have access to that executable, as that is how you will launch things for that version.  Hopefully this makes a little more sense than my first try.  The key file is the QV.exe, you want to be sure you have both versions of those, but as you have realized, they cannot be located in the same folder, so you will need to create a folder manually for one of them and copy the QV.exe into that folder etc.  Apologies for the tardy reply, I work a compressed as well as part-time schedule these days.  Shout if you have further questions.

Cheers,
Brett

fredericvillemi
Creator III
Creator III
Author

No problem, I was just surprised when QlikView removed everything to reinstall the new version but I have lost nothing in my settings

It works perfectly with both versions in different folders

Thanks again