Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Very strange problem with QlikView_apps on the server ...

Hi,

we have an entire cascade of QlikView_apps running one after another on our company server. First in line is a primary data_load_script getting the data from our database and storing it in qvd files, doing some edits on the data at the same time.

The strange thing is:

- There is a STORE command for nearly every table in there.

- These used to look like >> STORE mytable INTO QVD\mytable.qvd << (only a relative path was specified, not the full path)

- There is a checkbox "relative paths", this was always ticked.

- A while ago I switched this to using filepath_variables in which the fully qualified path is stored in a txt file. I tested it and it worked fine.

I didn't pay attention to that checkbox, I guess I left it ticked.

- Strangely, this went well for quite a while - but every now and then we have a problem where the script suddenly breaks when storing

some table or other and it just says "General script error".

=> I removed the path_variable as I thought, maybe this was the error, but I replaced it with the fully qualified path - and the error still

persisted.

=> Later, a colleague of mine replaced it with the relative path that used to be there, and it worked again.

I don't know why this happens - and why it seemingly does not happen every time, but only now and then ...

Can you tell me something about this? Is there some feature which is a bit "wobbly"?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

Hi DataNibbler,

try to implement applications like the goverment dashboard: QlikView Governance Dashboard and/or the event-connector: Re: Note whether a filepath (to save to) is available or not‌ then you don't need a direct access on the log-files.

If you have running several tasks parallel so it could happens that two will access a qvd at the same time. If this isn't the case there aren't many processes which will lock the file and you should find quite quickly within the logs, maybe something like windows shadow copies.

- Marcus

View solution in original post

5 Replies
marcus_sommer

Hi DataNibbler,

I don't think that the reason is the path - it need to be only a valid path independent if it written as a relative- or a full-path. More probably will be that there is a lock on this file through other processes or maybe a lack on free disc-space. I think you will need to take a look on the task-logs and the windows event-logs to find the reason.

- Marcus

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Sorry,

this really looks very strange since all the other tables have STORE commands, too, and they all use the path_variables which hold the fully qualified path, that checkbox "relative paths" is ticked, and none of the others makes any trouble ... it really doesn't look like there is an error in the script, but I just have no better idea than asking you guys ...

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Marcus,

thanks! Yeah, a lock on the file is more probable, though I cannot imagine how this would come to pass - there aren't many people round here using QlikView at all.

Unfortunately I don't have access to any of the logs on the server 😉 That does of course make it more than possible that I won't be able to solve this riddle at all ...

marcus_sommer

Hi DataNibbler,

try to implement applications like the goverment dashboard: QlikView Governance Dashboard and/or the event-connector: Re: Note whether a filepath (to save to) is available or not‌ then you don't need a direct access on the log-files.

If you have running several tasks parallel so it could happens that two will access a qvd at the same time. If this isn't the case there aren't many processes which will lock the file and you should find quite quickly within the logs, maybe something like windows shadow copies.

- Marcus

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Marcus,

yep. I guess implementing this additional administrative layer is the only way of catching those strange errors that hit us once in a while ... unfortunately I don't see at the moment who is going to do that - and when ... well, I'll try to keep that in mind for some time when there is less work to do ..

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler