Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
l_denivelle
Creator
Creator

QlikView server crash - User sessions multiplying

Hi

Our QlikView server is hosted on a Windows server 2012, 64 Go RAM, 2.19 GHz, 4 Core, with all QV services installed on it.

Approximately 180 users but generally 15 to 30 users connected simultaneously.

All the settings in the QMC are in the attachment below .

Sometimes the server is slowing down and then worse, no user could load any application on their screen (the screen stays white, it's not the "session lost" error).

The RAM & CPU usage on the server increased exponentially  (QVS.exe service).

Last time it happened, we went to the "QVS Statistics" to see how many people were connected (approx 20).

We have noticed that the "Number of Sessions" and the "Number of Documents" were unusually high (see bellow).

QMC - Status - QVS Stats - Open Documents.PNGQMC - Status - QVS Stats - Number of Doc.PNG

5 min later :

QMC - Status - QVS Stats - Open Documents 5 min later.PNGQMC - Status - QVS Stats - Number of Doc 5min later.PNG

In this case, most of the users (90%) have access to one QlikView application only and the rest maximum 2 application.

Also when I checked users who had the most important number of sessions or documents, they were not connected since 2 hours minimum but the server specify open sessions for them.

So it's like the server is keeping all the sessions open and worse, multiplying them.

What do you think is causing this ?

Could it from a graphic with too much data to load ? a big Excel export ? Bad config of the server ?

We’ve also test the « Allow Only One Copy of Document in Memory» option but checked or not, the problem is still present.

A document timeout of 60min is also specify.

We’re facing this issue since 2 weeks now and the accesspoint become inaccessible around 3 time / day (the server is running since 2 years now but we always have performance issues with a lot of "sessions lost" from user).

Thanks for your help.

Regards

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
l_denivelle
Creator
Creator
Author

The problem was coming from old bookmarks... Maybe they were calling fields that don't exist any more.

When users called them, they make the server crashed by multiplying sessions.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Which version of QlikView Server are you running (including the SR number)?

Your server allows for Server objects. On all documents? Is there any relation between the Server eating all CPU cycles and RAM, and particular users creating/opening "dangerous" server objects?

IMHO the increasing number of active sessions on one document may be caused by end-users (which are not known as a very patient kind of people ) launching new browser sessions when the earlier ones appear to be stuck.

l_denivelle
Creator
Creator
Author

@Your server allows for Server objects. On all documents? Is there any relation between the Server eating all CPU cycles and RAM, and particular users creating/opening "dangerous" server objects?

We didn't teach our users how to create objects and let's say they are not "expert" in computing so it's unlikely they did.

@IMHO the increasing number of active sessions on one document may be caused by end-users (which are not known as a very patient kind of people ) launching new browser sessions when the earlier ones appear to be stuck.

I had also an increase in number of sessions for myself yet I just opened 2 application and didn't click anywhere. Just opened them to see if they were working. It's possible the users refresh many times and open other browser but in my case it's not the problem

l_denivelle
Creator
Creator
Author

For information, we put a limitation for session timeout and it seems to work for now (no crash since yesterday morning ). It's weird because we never put a value in here and we never had problem until now. I don't know if it could be the reason but we updated our QlikView server from version 11 to version 12 recently... (1 month ago).

l_denivelle
Creator
Creator
Author

HI

Even with the session timeout limitation we still have the sessions multiplying.

Any idea someone ?

Last solution would be to re-install QlikView 12...

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I would talk with QT support if you have not already,

-Rob

l_denivelle
Creator
Creator
Author

I didn't.

Thank you !

l_denivelle
Creator
Creator
Author

The problem was coming from old bookmarks... Maybe they were calling fields that don't exist any more.

When users called them, they make the server crashed by multiplying sessions.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Thanks for reporting back on the cause of this anomaly. To me this sounds like a serious bug in the QVS...

navpinto
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

We are facing this issue in QV 12.20 November 2017 SR3.

Someone have the solution?

Thanks.