Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Best Practice Page File/Pagingfile (1.5 times RAM too much ?)

Hi,

It i recommended that for 64bit Servers, the page file should be 1.5 times the phys. RAM size.

source:http://www.bmesol.com/Qvs%20Reference%20Manual.pdf

[...

- Paging File Size defined as 4 GB or greater. For x64 systems, recommendation
is 1.5 times the amount of RAM.

...]

Well, we have a 128 GB RAM machine that hosts a QV8.5 Server and usually peaks at around 50GB PF-Usage (says TaskManager). We have a Page File from defined to range from 1GB - 8GB.

According to the recommendations in the document we should increas the page file to 128+64=192 GB!

Does Qliktek or any QliKVoew Admin keep up this recommendation even in this specific case?! Could we expect a performance increase by increasing the paefile to such an incredible size?! Or will that rather be a waste of ressources (namely Disk-Space)

I rather tend to shrink the pagefile to 4GB (fixed) and put it onto a RamDrive, but shrinking the PageFile (even below 8GB) would clearly be in oppositino to the reccommendation, although I think the recommendation ist obsolete in our specific case.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

3 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Having many servers with 256 Gb memory. All have fixed size pagefiles, ex 4 GB. Amount depends on workload, so follow Windows performance counters.

Why waste memory with a ramdrive?

-Alex

Not applicable
Author

We would not be wasting RAM. We would utilize some yet unutilized RAM!

For instance: We could create a RamDrive to store TMP *.qvd Tables there.Currently they are stored and loaded to the filesystem.

Not applicable
Author

Ramdrive has fixed size = wasting memory.

Windows implements file caching, meaning that recently used files are cached for fast access. If some program needs to allocate more memory, file will no longer be cached = read from disk next time. This means there is more available memory if not using ramdrive

-Alex