Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Can you do loop and reduce with EDX?

Is it possible to do loop and reduce processing with EDX? This is related to another question I've asked. We want to use AutoSys more instead of Publisher because it allows us more flexibility in scheduling jobs to be triggered when other job(s) finish and allow business clients to have ability for on-request jobs

Thanks in advance for any help.

David

5 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

EDX can launch any defined task that has an EDX trigger. So yes, the task may do loop and reduce or anything else a task is allowed to do.

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the quick reply Rob.  Any chance you have example(s) of how to do it?

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

For instructions on creating a Loop and Reduce task, see the QMC Help screen when on the Task Distribute tab. Note that you must have a Publisher license to create a Loop and Reduce task. The Distribute tab will not be available unless you have a Publisher license.

For instructions on using EDX to run that task, see

Using EDX in QlikView 11

To be clear, Loop/Reduce and EDX are two different things. Loop and Reduce is defined in a Publisher Task definition. EDX is used to Run that task. You cannot do Loop and Reduce with EDX alone.

-Rob

http://masterssummit.com

http://robwunderlich.com

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Rob. I did understand the difference.

I should have been more specific in my question. We are trying to use our automated scheduling tool (AutoSys) to get more flexibility in how we run the QlikView tasks. For example, if we have a QlikView task that needs to run after some other scheduled (non-QlikView) process has completed, we can't accomplish that with Publisher alone. So we guesstimate how long the other process will take and then try to schedule the Publisher process a certain amount of time after the expected completion. That works most times, but if the other process runs long, the Publisher task can kick off before it should. Being able to "trigger" Publisher tasks using EDX allows us to use the more robust features of our scheduling system.

Not applicable
Author

Then you can use EDX to kick off a task in Publisher.