Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
giakoum
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

Cleaning corrupt shared files

Hi all.

we have been using the command line to clean shared files as follows :

EXECUTE cmd.exe /c ""C:\Program Files\QlikView\Server\qvs.exe" -x "q:\Temp\<some shared file>.QVW.SHARED" -p "q:\Temp\""

This is working fine, only problem being that it does not create a log file anymore after upgrading to 11.20SR8. Before it was creating a log file called CleaningTool<date>.log

Any ideas?

9 Replies
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

Check where the QVS log files are being stored. The default location is C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\QlikViewServer

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
giakoum
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II
Author

No nothing there I am afraid.

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

Why not use the sharefilerepair tool that is part of the powertools? You can set the folder you want you log to be in and a nice GUI

Bill

To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does using the -v switch (verification only) instead of the -p create a log file as normal?

We are using SR4 and have found that verification only is reporting a clean file but then when you do a purge, the resultant shared file is smaller and the log file is reporting that some objects were invalid. Not sure why there is a discrepency.

We are looking at upgrading to SR8 because it is recommended for better shared file handling, so I'd be interested in your response.

Thanks.

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi Paul,

Is the below what you might be seeing?

FULFILLMENT DASHBOARD.QVW.Shared VERIFY OrphanEntry BM59-42 Bookmark

If so, OrphanEntry means that Bookmark object BM59-42 has not MetaData sever entry associated, in the SharedFile. In other words, the QVS cannot find out criticial information on this Bookmark, for instance, who is the owner, if the bookmark is shared, temporary or none of them.

Bill

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bill

Very similar but the other way round. We seem to have the metadata but not the object definition.

Error is like:

Invalid MetaData entry found with OWNER: DOMAIN\USER and ID: BM172-74 . No Object type entry associated to this one has been found. Orphan entry.

We also have entries for corrupt sheets/contents that look like:

Invalid ObjectContent entry found with OWNER: DOMAIN\USER and ID: SH01-74. No SheetProperties object entry, associated to this one, has been found. Orphan entry.

It's quite interesting how the user objects data is stored when you look into it.

Not applicable

Hi ioanis i have a Question, I run the same procedure and this gave me some results shared with .shared_clean extension files, my question is that I do with them? I leave them in the same folder? or replace the initial .shared with this?

Thanks

giakoum
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II
Author

rename and replace

Not applicable

Thanks ioannis