We are re-working a lot of of our administration activities for QlikView and in the process are re-naming quite a few of the categories that get listed on the accesspoint. When setting up the task in the QEMC, QlikView auto populates a list of the most popular categories used. The problem is, this list is getting increddibly long, and most of them are no longer used. Is there any way to clean this up? I searched around but couldn't find anything related to this.
Bill - Designated Support Engineer at Qlik To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Thanks Bill. I had the similar problem and I fixed it by modifying the Category.xml file in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\QlikTech\ManagementService\QVPR. I am using Windows server 2003 R2 and using Qlikiew Server without Publisher in our test environment. The following is what I did,
1. Find the the Category.xml file in the folder mentioned above and make a backup copy.
2. Open the XML file using Notepad deleted the lines including <Category Name=" xxxx", xxxx is the category to be deleted