Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greg-anderson
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Configuring QlikView for SMTP authentication (SSL) using Distribution Service Account

Hi, all.  

My company recently upgraded its internal mail relays to require SSL connections.

I modified the Config files for QMS and QDS to use SSL for SMTP.  All good.

We have always used our Distribution Service account for authentication.  Until now, that has worked fine.

qmc_mail_server_distribution_service_account.PNG

Trying it now gives back an error, "Authentication required"

When I enter the User name and password for the same account, the mail sends properly.

This is a problem.  Our service accounts are protected, and we do not typically have access to their passwords.  This test was run in conjunction with the Security team that manages the passwords (so it was changed immediately afterwards).

Has anyone run into this issue?  Before I take it back to Support, I wanted to see if anyone else had encountered this issue and, hopefully, found a way to address it.

Thanks!

Labels (7)
2 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

If I understand your problem, your Email Authentication issues started after switching from regular SMTP to SSL SMTP, correct? What MTA(s) are you using? 

Now that I think about it, it sounds weird to try to use an AD account for authentication when using SMTP & STARTTLS. Don't even know whether that's possible at all... 

greg-anderson
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

Hi, Peter. 

The issue is not necessarily caused by the switch to SMTP via SSL, because that still works as long as I enter the credentials (selecting the "User name and password" option).

The error appears only when I attempt to use the "Distribution service account" option for authentication.  I have verified that its credentials work properly when entered manually.

I had a session with Qlik Support, who confirmed that the behavior is not what is expected.  They are filing it as a bug to research it further.