Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Difference between Source Documents and User Documents

What is the difference between Source Documents and User Documents? Should we save same files in both locations of server(Source Documents and Documents folder) ??? Please clarify

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
anil_y_86
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Khim,

As per the last line------------(Publisher will automaticallly publish the QVW stored in Source Document to User Document folder once the scheduled task is completed. (This will include access rights, data reduction, etc...))-------------

For example I have Example.QVW

The Example.QVW is mounted under (D:\Deployment\....) for User Documents

Now I have created the task for the Example.QVW. Do I have to mount same location (D:\Deployment\....) in Source Document or it is not necessary ?

If your answer is not necessary then I have pointed(E:\Testing\....) for Source Document then how the users will see the updated Example.QVW in Access Point?

Hope you understand my question!

Regs,

Anil

View solution in original post

Maria_Halley
Support
Support

@wonkymeister 

Users can see documents in any mounted folder. When QlikView scan the mounted folders it also scans any subfolder. So if the source document folder is in any of the mounted folders or subfolders they will show in the AccessPoint

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Source document is a folder use by QlikView Publisher for reloading and distributing QVW. The QVW stored in this folder is not visible to end user in AccessPoint.

User Document folder is the folder that store the QVW that visible to end user in the AccessPoint.

Publisher will automaticallly publish the QVW stored in Source Document to User Document folder once the scheduled task is completed. (This will include access rights, data reduction, etc...)

anil_y_86
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Khim,

As per the last line------------(Publisher will automaticallly publish the QVW stored in Source Document to User Document folder once the scheduled task is completed. (This will include access rights, data reduction, etc...))-------------

For example I have Example.QVW

The Example.QVW is mounted under (D:\Deployment\....) for User Documents

Now I have created the task for the Example.QVW. Do I have to mount same location (D:\Deployment\....) in Source Document or it is not necessary ?

If your answer is not necessary then I have pointed(E:\Testing\....) for Source Document then how the users will see the updated Example.QVW in Access Point?

Hope you understand my question!

Regs,

Anil

Not applicable
Author

Hi Anil,

The flow is Source Document -> User Document.

Publisher will open the document in Source Document, reload and Publish (copy) it to User Document. Normally the Source Document folder is different from User Document folder. The source and user document path is defined in System tab in QMC.

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Let me add to khim_hoe reply. The User Document folder is the Root or Mounted Folders you setup in the QMC. See below image.

11.20 SR5-2014-03-19-08-08-44.png

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable
Author

I am working on QEMC v10.  I created a new folder and added the folder to the folder section.  I can see it in the source document tab but I cannot expand it to see the subfolders.  However, I do see it in User Documents and I can expand it.  I have not scheduled any tasks on these documents becuase I cannot get to them in Source Document tab to create tasks. Two questions:

1.  Why cant I expand the folder in Source documents?

2.  Why are the qvws showing in User Documents when I did not schedule a task?

FYI:  I am not server trained or certified.  I know the basics and that is it.

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi Debbie,

Do you have a publisher license?

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable
Author

yes both on dev and prod. I am using the dev server at this time. 

wonkymeister
Creator III
Creator III

guys, why can users see my source documents on the access point? Using Publisher, they should only see the published qvw.

Maria_Halley
Support
Support

@wonkymeister 

Users can see documents in any mounted folder. When QlikView scan the mounted folders it also scans any subfolder. So if the source document folder is in any of the mounted folders or subfolders they will show in the AccessPoint