Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Distributing User specific data reductions

Greetings,

I have a document which I wish to publish distinct reports for potentially hundreds of users, each with their own slice of the data.

I understand that I can achieve this by using Section Access and performing user specific data reductions when they load the document.

However, is it possible for Publisher to loop through all the users generating the custom reductions for each user.

I've reviewed the Qvs documentation on Publisher, and it's not clear to me how this would be accomplished. From the docs, it looks like Publisher needs to run as a specific QlikView user, and that reductions can only be defined for this user (potentially based on other user access).

Does this mean I would have to change the load script for each user, reload the data, and then distribute the report? I'm hoping there's an easier more data driven way to do this. [:)]

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MichaelRobertshaw
Former Employee
Former Employee

When a QlikView Document has Section Access, that can stop Publisher from opening the document to perform a reload unless Section Access recognises the account that the QlikView Distribution Service is running as. NB, the Service Account will appear to he QlikView Document in the NTNAME field of Section Access, or you could specify a Section Access User & Password in the Task Properties (not recommended).

After a Reload is finished, you can schedule a Reduction & Distribution task. You will need to define a "pattern" for the new QVW filenames that will be split from this document. Publisher will open the document (see NTNAME above) then loop through all the values of a field that you choose. For each value of that field, a matching Username or GroupName is sought via the Directory Service Connector. For each match, that field selection is applied then the remaining data is saved as a new QVW including all of the original Section Access.

It is possible to Loop & Reduce on eg Branch, matching to a Group, leaving all the User within that Branch sharing the same QVW but still restricted to different data using Section Access.

Come along to Server/Publisher training sometime 🙂

Michael

View solution in original post

5 Replies
MichaelRobertshaw
Former Employee
Former Employee

When a QlikView Document has Section Access, that can stop Publisher from opening the document to perform a reload unless Section Access recognises the account that the QlikView Distribution Service is running as. NB, the Service Account will appear to he QlikView Document in the NTNAME field of Section Access, or you could specify a Section Access User & Password in the Task Properties (not recommended).

After a Reload is finished, you can schedule a Reduction & Distribution task. You will need to define a "pattern" for the new QVW filenames that will be split from this document. Publisher will open the document (see NTNAME above) then loop through all the values of a field that you choose. For each value of that field, a matching Username or GroupName is sought via the Directory Service Connector. For each match, that field selection is applied then the remaining data is saved as a new QVW including all of the original Section Access.

It is possible to Loop & Reduce on eg Branch, matching to a Group, leaving all the User within that Branch sharing the same QVW but still restricted to different data using Section Access.

Come along to Server/Publisher training sometime 🙂

Michael

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Neil,

I can't add anything to Michael's excellent answer except to point you to a tutorial that shows how to do the Loop and Reduce setup in Publisher.
http://robwunderlich.com/QvTutorial.html

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I look yout tutorial and I have a question about it.

"Loop and reduce setup" is removed other informations "keep possible values". Publisher do this?

I ask this question because in my application I have many customers, and I need everyone need to have an application and just look in the field "Customer" his name selected (I need to compare a customer to all the customers so I can't remove the others values of others customer).

I'm not sur that my english is good... sorry

Can you help me?

Not applicable
Author

To be more clear:

Publisher can just selected fields (and the user can't modify this) and not reduce data?

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Publisher reduce will remove the other Customer values, so the other customers will not be available for comparison.

-Rob