Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Extended script feedback in QV Publisher

Is there a way to get more details in the log in Publisher? If I reload a document in the client application I can for instance see where a script gets stuck, in the publisher log these details are not available, or am I blind?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

If you have "Generate Logfile" checked for the document, the script log will still be created when loaded by Publisher. As far as I know, there is no way to get these messages into the Publisher log. You still have to open the document log.

-Rob

View solution in original post

8 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

If you have "Generate Logfile" checked for the document, the script log will still be created when loaded by Publisher. As far as I know, there is no way to get these messages into the Publisher log. You still have to open the document log.

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the answer Rob. Do you know a way to hide some details (except for puting all script code in hidden script) in this log file, because the logfile contains the whole script which I don't want to be available for some users.

Not applicable
Author

For this purpose I'd build a small QlikView application for the purpose of viewing the script. If you can programmatically identify what you want to optionally show and hide, flag your log records with a 'Viewers' field setting it to 'Admin Only', 'Regular Users', 'Power Users' or similar and tie the user log-in to the appropriate level through application of QlikView Section Access security combined with Data Reduction, i.e. set the property:

'Settings | Document Properties | Opening | Initial Data Reduction Based on Section Access'

This way your log contains everything, but the interface for viewing the log only contains the sub set you want to expose. Stick the log reader to be reloaded at the end of your Publisher data refresh job.

Regards,

Jonas

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Mark,

Other than building your own filtered interface, as Jonas suggested, I don't know of a way to suppress data in the log.

I have an outstanding feature request to provide a LOG ON/OFF script statement. You might want to express your interest in that as well.

Although I don't know what happened to the "Feature Request" link 🙂

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

Jonas: Sounds very interesting, but does that mean that the log file is still available during a reload? Are you willing to share (part of) your application?

Rob: What exactly will that requested log on/off feature do. Will it also offer the possibility to log only on a certain type of error?

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Mark,

I have a few scripts that run loops and can produce many thousands of lines of output in the loop. I don't want to suppress all the log, just this "noisy" stuff. The feature request I submitted was for a new script statement like:

LOG ON
LOG OFF

That could be used to turn logging on/off at selective places in the script, like before my noisy loops. I hadn't thought about error logging. I was willing to accept the fact that if I turned off logging I would miss the message. However, if QV has error levels defined for messages, than maybe something more granular can be defined like

LOG ERROR // Log error level messages only

Following the lead of other popular loggers, maybe a good proposal would be:

LOG ON // Log all msgs
LOG OFF // Log no msgs
LOG WARNING // Log WARNING and above
LOG ERROR // Log ERROR and above

Let me know what you (and others reading this thread) are thinking and maybe we can develop a group proposal.

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

Rob,

Such a script statement would be very very welcome. But what do you mean with level INFO and above, is this the level of log that is shown in the desktop client reload window?

Mark

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Mark,

I don't know if the messages shown in the desktop client window actually have a level assigned. But yes, I was thinking of those message the echo the script contents and those that display how many rows were loaded as INFO level messages.

-Rob