cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

How Leasing license works

Hi All,

I have very less experience in Qlikview server side. I got a doubt in how leasing a license works. Could you please share your knowledge on the same? I checked in community but didn't find an answer to that. So I would like to know, If we want to lease a license from the server, do user need to hold a license or can lease license without that as well by just marking the checkbox "Allow License Leasing" in QMC?

Could you please help me by sharing you knowledge?

Regards,

Leni Balakrishnan

11 Replies
Not applicable
Author

!Hi Leni,

Please find the attachment it will clear half of the doubts which is running now.

Thanks!!

Br,

Habib Shaik.

marcus_sommer

Further take a look here: All you need to know about licensing QlikView.

- Marcus

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Habib for sharing the document

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Marcus,

Getting "Unauthorized Error" while trying to open the link.

Regards,

Leni Balakrishnan

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

I've written a blog post on Licence Lease, you may find this helpful:

https://www.quickintelligence.co.uk/qlikview-licence-lease/

Steve

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thank you for sharing the link

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Well, the idea is that every QlikView user should only be assigned a license once to use those parts of QlikView to which he/she is entitled. In the old days, you had an AccessPoint license and a Designer (or something alike) license and you needed both to develop a document and use it in the AccessPoint.

Not anymore. However, since the server manages stuff like Named CALs and Document CALs, how do you license a QV Desktop when the license is parked on the QlikView Server? Do I need to be in contact with this server all the time when using QV Desktop? And what happens when I wander off with my laptop to develop QlikView documents and the connection is interrupted? The answer is: Lease a license.

A license lease means that you get the right to use a Client license off-line in QV Desktop for a maximum period of 4 weeks. There are various peculiar things and restrictions to this mechanism:

• Works only with Named CALs, not with Documents CALs
  • Leases for the same license are limited to a maximum of 2 MAC addresses. If you want to lease your license again on a third PC, bad luck - that 3rd QV Desktop will remain in PE mode.
  • If you have leases left on your license, you obtain the lease by letting QV Desktop contact the correct QV Server using File->Open in Server. You do not need to really open a document for the lease to be transferred anymore!
  • The lease will be checked again whenever you open QV Desktop and the program is able to talk to the QV Server. This happens silently.
  • During this silent check, if the Client license appears to have been revoked by a QV Administrator, your QV Desktop will also immediately lose the lease and fall back to PE mode.
  • If the license is still assigned to you, the lease period will be extended by another 4 weeks of off-line use.

In short, a license lease is a temporary permit to use a licensed QlikView Desktop off-line.

Best,

Peter

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Note that the "Allow License lease" checkbox works for all assigned Named CALs. You cannot let specific users use a licensed QV Desktop and deny that privilege to others, other than by replacing those Named CALs for the latter by Document CALs.

And yes, in theory as soon as you mark "Allow License lease", every Named CAL user can visit the QlikView server and obtain a lease to fully license his/her copy of QV Desktop..

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the details. I shared my understanding, Please correct me if I am wrong.

My understanding from your answer, we can lease license when a license is allocated to us in server else it is not possible to lease.

Then one more query, what happens if I don't have a dedicated license in server but have access to one of the application deployed in the server and the checkbox "Allow Lease License" is marked? Will I be able to lease or not?

Thank you,

Leni Balakrishnan