Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to reload on one QlikView server, and distribute on another server

Hi,

In my company we have several QV servers, in Europe and in the US, and we have a use case where we would like to:

- reload a document using European QV server - because the data is in Europe

- copy the document to the US QV server - because the report needs to be accessed from the US

- distribute this document with the US QV server

in an automated way, ideally visible as one scheduled task from the European QV Management console.

So that users can also manually trigger it.

Note that the european server does not have a publisher license, but the US server has it.

I see currently 2 options to achieve this, can you tell me what would be the best option, or propose other ideas:

1. write a small C# tool using the QlikView Management API of both servers

cons: needs a windows machine to manually trigger it

2. no C# development, just use existing management console trigger mechanism:

a. add at the end of the load script a line to copy the reloaded qvw file to the US server

b. schedule distribution on the US server every 5 minute AND on successful event from another task? -> but which task to use? Database command task which would check the last reload of the document, and return "success" if last reload > last distribution, otherwise "error"?

Please advise

Thank you

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

After some testing, I think I'm gonna go for option 2.:

- on EU server schedule a regular reload. At the end of the load script, log the successful reload in a database.

- on US server, setup a simple workflow that will:

* database task: poll every 5 minutes to check whether last distribution < last reload:

if yes:  * external command task: copy the document from EU server to Us server

* document task: distribute the new copy

* database task: log successful distribution

otherwise, raise an erorr from the database to stop here (because each task is activated upon successful completion of the preceding task)

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Not applicable
Author

After some testing, I think I'm gonna go for option 2.:

- on EU server schedule a regular reload. At the end of the load script, log the successful reload in a database.

- on US server, setup a simple workflow that will:

* database task: poll every 5 minutes to check whether last distribution < last reload:

if yes:  * external command task: copy the document from EU server to Us server

* document task: distribute the new copy

* database task: log successful distribution

otherwise, raise an erorr from the database to stop here (because each task is activated upon successful completion of the preceding task)

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Jean,

If the EU server can see a share on the US server you can have publisher on the EU server upload(distribute) a copy to the share.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Bill,

we have a similar task, but for some amount of time, we also have to cope with different QV server versions.

The server that does the reload will be upgraded to QV11, and the one used to publish the content to the users will stay on QV10 for some time.

The release notes say that file format should be compatible, is this correct?

Or are we expected to see some issues?

The application itself does not use any QV11 specific functions, in fact it holds only the data (no chart objects) and will be binary loaded on the QV10 server.

Thanks for any advice or input.

Stefan

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

This is never recommended. If it was the other way it would be OK, QV10 publisher and QV11 server. The problem you will run into is that the QV11 has features that QV10 was not designed to support. So, you could run into issues by doing this.

Bill

To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Thanks for the very fast response, Bill.

So, the file format between QV10 and QV11 differs and QV 10 will not gracefully handle input which is intended for a newer version, by ignoring the unknowns and selecting the known subset of the data that the system is capable of handling, right?

So my assumption I've made is wrong when reading:

"QlikView 11 has a file format compatible with versions 9 and 10." in chapter 1.3 of the release notes.

Thanks for clarifying this (and IMHO it might be good to clarify this also in the release notes).

Regards,

Stefan

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

They are saying that the file format is compatible, meaning that QV11 will run 9 & 10 files. What becomes a problem is when something is created with QV11 and expecting QV10 server to be able to handle any new features that QV11 has that QV10 doesn't.

Bill

swuehl
MVP
MVP

The application itself will not contain any QV11 specific functions. The script was developed under version 9. The current plan is to just reload using QV11, then transfer the qvw to the other server (the one using QV10) which will binary load the data model in another qvw containing the chart objects.

I was optimistically assuming, that this should be possible (not explicitely using any QV11 features in the transmitted qvw). But reading the issue posted to http://community.qlik.com/message/266000#266000 by yoavgeva (though I assume it's a little different to mine, probably they use some chart objects), I think I just veto against the current plan and wait until the other server is going to be upgraded as well.

Have a nice weekend,

Stefan

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Stefan,

Doing it his way may be OK. Being you are only using the data from the old QVW and not trying to run it on the server. You can give it a shot to see if you get any errors. However, I think you will be OK.

Bill

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

How about triggerring the US tasks with an EDX call from the EU server? This could be an external task that sends the EDX call to the US mgmt service.

-Rob