cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to trigger QMC tasks without QMC scheduling

Hello Gurus,

Urgent help required.

I am working on triggerring the QMC tasks in batch(based on ETL Load completion) instead of scheduling/time trigger in QMC. The idea is to reduce the load on QMC and overcome the limitation  of n number of simultaneous tasks in QMC. I tried the /r or /l option but it is doing a plain reload on the Client(In a new window) than on the Server. I want to remove the scheduling from QMC, but want to monitor those tasks in QMC. In other words, the existing waterfall QMC tasks are to be triggered from windows bat program based on ETL Load completion so that the QMC schedules can be removed, but still the tasks should be able to be monitored in QMC.

Thanks

BJ

6 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I think you can create an EDX task (as the first task in your waterfall QMC tasks), and then trigger it by running an executable file (e.g. an executable file coded by C# or VB) when ETL is completed.

Please have a look at my blog post which may give you an idea about EDX and how to trigger it from an external application/executable:

http://quickdevtips.blogspot.com/2012/07/qlikview-server-how-to-monitor-folder.html

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

Hi Aydin,

We have a similar kind of situation wherein we need to reload the dashboard dynamically based on the parameter from the web page URL.

Please see the steps below we implemented:

- Accessed Query String value from the URL(ID) and stored in a variable.

- We want to pass this ID to the stored procedures in the Edit Script which we have written to load the dashboard.

- We used on Open Trigger but we came to know that there is a limitation in QV for the triggers which wont fire when hosting the file in server. (Ref:http://community.qlik.com/thread/32890?tstart=0#138063)

Now, we are looking for alternates to implement using EDX tasks.

We created a sample task that reloads the dashboard for every hour but we are looking for dynamic implementation which should access the parameter from the URL and reload the dashboard.

Please help me out by providing solutions.

Thanks,

Sai Krishna

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

If I understood correctly, you want to pass the ID to qlikview script before reloading, right?

If so, you can place your qlikview script in a qvs file (basically it is a text file) and then call it from qlikview script (by include funtion of qlikvew).

And before calling it, since it is a text file, you can write the ID in the text file (qvs file) by whatever programming language you use.

Until that point, we have nothing to the with EDX, after writing the ID into qvs file, you can call the EDX to trigger the reload task.

Pls let me know if it is not clear.

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

Hi Aydin,

Our issue is before loading the web page in the URL.

Is it possible to reload the dashboard when we open the web page?

Whenever user try to open the Dashboard in Web Page, we need to reload the dashboard as we want to have the updated version of the database(Users may add some data to the database which is not updated in the dashboard until we reload it).

We want a solution wherein we can reload the dashboard before opening the web page.

Please let me know if you need any more details.

Thanks,

Sai

Not applicable
Author

I am not sure if there is a way to reload the file when user opens the document.

Instead of this, you may reload the file by EDX whenever there is a change in the database, though this may be tricky.

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

I am not an expert in QV. But These are what I think.

For the reloading when user opens the document, you can explore the possibilities of something similar to LOV in Business Objects, if QV has one.

I agree with Bilge, you can keep the data refreshed on DB refresh. This is how I did:- I wrote an Indicator file into a specific Folder once ETL completes. Below is the .bat script that can be scheduled in windows task scheduler periodically for checking the Folder for the arrival of the Indicator File (Part1) and Trigger the QEMC task(Part2).

Note:

1. QMSEDX can be downloaded from http://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-2650

2. QEMC Pause Task has to be configured for the Waterfall and in Trigger tab, password has to be provided which will be used for the EDX Trigger.

3. Script-to-check-the-Indicator-File.txt.vbs -  script just checks for the Indicator File and deletes it.

-------------------------------------------

SCRIPT

-------------------------------------------

set TaskName="QEMCWaterfallPauseTaskName"

set PASSWORD="PauseTaskTriggerTabPassword"

set QMS="http://App-ServerName:4799/QMS/Service"

'Part1: Check for the Indicator File and Return 0 if it is a new Indicator.

"Path\Script-to-check-the-Indicator-File.txt.vbs" "Indicator-File-Folder_Name" "Indicator-File.txt"

@echo Error1-%ERRORLEVEL%

IF %ERRORLEVEL% NEQ 0 goto Error

'Part2: If Returncode=0(new Indicatorfile), trigger the QEMC Reload Task using QMSEDX.exe.

IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 QMSEDX -task=%TaskName% -password=%PASSWORD% -qms=%QMS%

@echo Error2-%ERRORLEVEL%

IF %ERRORLEVEL% NEQ 0 goto Error

@echo Finished-%date% %time%

:Error

@echo Error-%date% %time%

----------------------------------------