cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JEMATech
Contributor
Contributor

Impact of refreshing QVWs to Users who have active sessions

Hi Everyone.  I am not a QV expert at all so maybe I am not using the correct language, but I am interested in what sort of impact on an end User of publishing an updated QVW while a user is using the existing version of that QVW?  How does it work getting the user off the "stale" QVW?  Basically, sometimes the overnight process is delayed and we end up with users accessing QVWs while the publishing process is not yet complete.

3 Replies
NW1965
Creator
Creator

Hi

Each QlikView document can be set to perform as you would like it to, if you go into the Settings, Document Settings, then go to the Server tab there is an option there called "Refresh Mode when document is updated on Server", options are:

Server performs refresh automatically without client action

This means that when the server reloads the document, the end user that has a session open will experience a short delay while new data is refreshed. 

Client initiates refresh. If old data not kept in server or client too old, session will be disconnected.

It means that the user gets an option on when to reload new data, that option is controlled by the selection of Client Refresh Initiation Mode, however, if the server has not retained the old cache (maybe run out of memory) then the users session will be shut down.

Client initiates refresh. If old data not kept in server or client too old, refresh will be performed automatically.

Similar to above but if the server does not have the old data, the users session is refreshed automatically.

Bear in mind that any option other than the first will potentially mean that you have multiple users looking at a single dashboard with different versions of data.

Hope it helps.

JEMATech
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Great!  Thank you!

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Spot on explanation, great job!  You can confirm if users are getting 'kicked out' by looking at the QVS Session logs and looking at the Exit Reason field, if they are getting kicked out, I believe the reason will be something along the line of Document Obsolete, sorry I cannot recall the exact value, but pretty sure you will recognize it, and you can always force one on a temp app to see what writes for yourself, then you will know for sure.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.