Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Log File Location for Clustered QDS Nodes

It looks like the QDS nodes, by default at least, log to the "Application Data Folder".  This is also the same shared folder that must be used for clustering a QDS:

From QV11.2 Server Reference Manual

For a cluster of QDSs, System>Setup>General>Application Data Folder must be set to a common shared folder. In addition, Source Folders must be common shared folders.

My question is, does anyone know if it's possible to configure the QDS log file path for specific nodes independently of the shared folder location.   Ideally I'd like the log files to be written locally on each node rather than transferred across the network (I don't understand why the logs need to be in a shared location?).

Does anyone know if this is possible?  I have had a look in the QVDistributionService.exe.config but can't find anything immediately obvious.  Hopefully I'm missing something.

Thanks,

Graeme

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Configuration files need to be shared between all QDS cluster members but it's just not possible to split configuration and log files to different folders.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
danielrozental
Master II
Master II

No, it's not possible. You can only define the Application data folder but that includes both config files and log files.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Daniel.  Do you (or does anyone) by any chance know if there is a valid technical reason for this requirement [to store the log files in the folder that needs to be shared for the cluster]?

Thanks

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Configuration files need to be shared between all QDS cluster members but it's just not possible to split configuration and log files to different folders.

Not applicable
Author

Thank Daniel.  Not the answer I wanted to hear, but QT Support have confirmed that this is the case.  This is a poor design, as having to constantly transfer the log files accross the network will inevitably slow down procssing. 

I have created an idea here http://community.qlik.com/ideas/2796