Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
athompsonhp
Contributor III
Contributor III

Named Users erased after QV Server Service is restarted

Background

• I had inherited the QV Server installation and had been updating the software to QV11.2 SR8.
  • Any time I restart the QV Server service I have to manually enter the 30 named users and 40 Document CALs.

Challenge

• I have 30 named users out of 50 that I manually enter anytime I need to restart the QV Server Service.
  • My prior experience of restarting the service did not remove any of the user (and document) licenses.
  • I have tried following the backup the CAL information and restore, but that is not working.
  • Is there a set up step that I overlooked that would alleviate this manual reentering these licenses?
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Giuseppe_Novello

Andy,

Check root folder and Qlikview server folder, look for PGO files, make sure that all of them are in sync, to verify this they must have the same file timestamp ( Date modified). If one iis out of sync, specially the BorrowedCalData.pgo, it will cause you issues. Best to alleviate the issue, is to Stop the Server services >  removed the PGOs ( you can delete them or move the off their locations) > start the service again and  let the Qlikview Server recreate a fresh set of PGOs; unfortunately, you must add the CALs again.

Default PGO locations:

Root folder / Root application folder: C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\Documents

(Note this location can be manually change, if you don't know where they are you must ask the previous admin) 

Qlikview Server folder: C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\QlikViewServer

Gio

Giuseppe Novello
Principal Technical Support Engineer @ Qlik

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi Andy,

If you check the QVS Event log what error is shown there about the PGO files? The main reason I have seen cause this is that the share is not there when QVS starts up.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Giuseppe_Novello

Andy,

Check root folder and Qlikview server folder, look for PGO files, make sure that all of them are in sync, to verify this they must have the same file timestamp ( Date modified). If one iis out of sync, specially the BorrowedCalData.pgo, it will cause you issues. Best to alleviate the issue, is to Stop the Server services >  removed the PGOs ( you can delete them or move the off their locations) > start the service again and  let the Qlikview Server recreate a fresh set of PGOs; unfortunately, you must add the CALs again.

Default PGO locations:

Root folder / Root application folder: C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\Documents

(Note this location can be manually change, if you don't know where they are you must ask the previous admin) 

Qlikview Server folder: C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\QlikViewServer

Gio

Giuseppe Novello
Principal Technical Support Engineer @ Qlik
athompsonhp
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Gio,

I have been battling this issue for 10 months.  I have research the documentation and could not find any resolution.

I have tested your solution by restarting the server service and all the Named Users as well as the Document CAL Users come back.

The reason for the need to restart the service every week is the Server's memory (32Gb) seems to grow to 20Gb. I have not pinned down the reason -- but back in 2007 I do remember QlikView having issues with memory leaks.  The symptoms seem to be the same as memory leaks issues in years past.

At least I am not manually entering (or reentering) all the users after the restart.

I cannot thank you enough.

Sincerely,

Andy T

athompsonhp
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks Bill.

I did try your suggestion and found the shares were not a factor.

Sincerely,

Andy T

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Nothing wrong with restarting the services occasionally. However, note that growing memory usage is *normal* for the QVS.exe task. This is due to QVS caching results. It's not a "problem" until you start approaching the amount of physical RAM.

-Rob