So this has been a messy issue so far. Another developer did something wonky to their document and now I get an error message that says the document failed even though I wasn't trying to reload the document. This seems to be a similar issue found in other forum posts.
My issue is that all of the remedies suggested in this post and others hasn't worked. What I have tried so far:
Reload with QMC - Fail
Rename document - fail
move document - fail
try with another machine - fail
Delete share file - fail
open document without data - fail
open with document analyzer - fail
Give the document a menacing glare - fail
I think at this point the document is gone but I figured writing this post was worth a shot.