Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Passing parameters in Supporting Tasks

Hi,

Is there any way to pass parameters to a Supporting Task defined as an external program?

Currently we have:

-Task A (External Trigger)

--- Supporting Task B (after Task A finishes)

Task A is triggered by EDX with one variable passed: myVar = 1

When Task B runs the external program, I'd like to use the myVar value passed before, so I could execute "C:\MyExternalCommand.exe /myVar=1"

Is this possible?

Thanks

6 Replies
Not applicable
Author

In plain, no.

The taskchain in Publisher can only exacute on Success or failure.

So it won´t rrecognize if a trigger has excuted on a  varible, it only execute on state on the task

Not applicable
Author

I would like to have parameter support as well, at least built in parameters.

I have a notification script, which I want to run on failure.

I'm missing two things:

1) A trigger that globally triggers on _any_ failure (or success).

With the current implementation I have to add one trigger for every task I want to monitor.

Or at least a way to select multiple tasks in one trigger.

2) Variables that I can use when calling the external program, for example $triggeringTaskName

With the current implementation, I have to add one external task for every task I want to check and do a unique execution for.

Current setup, 3x supporting tasks

A)

Trigger: Failure Task1

Command line statement: d:\failscript.exe "Task name 1"

B)

Trigger: Failure Task2

Command line statement: d:\failscript.exe "Task name 2"

C)

Trigger: Failure Task3

Command line statement: d:\failscript.exe "Task name 3"

Wanted scenario

A)

Trigger: Any-Task-Fails

Command line statement: d:\failscript.exe $triggeringTaskName

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

If you operate a Publisher, you can assign three or more triggers "on Failure" to a single Supporting task.

Passing QMC parameters to a Supporting task is not possible. In that case you're better off with three task definitions because you can embed the failure details in the command line.

Peter

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hello!

• Yes, I can assign multiple triggers, but then my receiving script won't know which trigger that was triggered?
  • I operate a publisher, how do I embed the failure details in the command line? I (quickly) read the help but did not see that?
  • Finally, my example was just an example, in reality i have 100+ tasks, and adding/maintaining triggers for all of them is a hassle. Therefore a */catchall "on failure" with a parameter of which task that failed would be a really nice thing to have.

Thanks for taking your time to reply.

/Sebastian

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

• True, that's the tradeoff for not having to create 100+ additional and almost identical failure registration tasks.
  • I don't know. You are free to put anything in the command line that is acceptable to the program you try to run. Suppose your command line says something like this: C:\Program Files\Report\Report.exe -msg="ABC", then you can adjust the msg parameter for every other task you need to trigger. Of course this only works if you keep to the 100+ additional failure registration tasks.
  • I do believe that this is a major hassle. But unfortunately there is no standard solution available as you describe. Maybe you can request a new QlikView Server feature in Ideas

I guess you could use the management API to create a task monitoring tool that checks for task failures and reports them in a generalized way. But I'm sure that building your own tool is part of range of possible solutions you are envisioning...

Best,

Peter

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your reply!

I "solved" this by using the "email on error" feature instead, using IFTTT - Make Your Work Flow to relay the mail to the service(s) I want to use

Only problem is that I get another system in between, but still better than nothing.