Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rothtd
Creator III
Creator III

Problems with QVDS and Mgmt Serv on same server?

Any one experiencing problems with running Distribution Service and Management Service on the same physical server?

I am experiencing issues with my environment and I am curious if QVDS is maxing out the resources on the server and then QVMS can’t adequately ‘manage’ the environment (causing lots of flakey hard to troubleshoot errors). How are your environments configured in regard to these two services?

Thanks in advance.

6 Replies
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

This shouldn't be an issue. Most people install the two together.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
rothtd
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thanks for the input. We have ran this configuration since the week QV11 SR2 came out and have always noticed that the QMC will (at sporatic times) falsely report QVS being down. It appears that the issue is QVMS for some reason cannot talk to QVS for a moment and reports it as down. We can see on the server that is it fully functional and then the situation resolves itself within 5 minutes. We have always ignored this issue since it is not user-facing. Out of the blue we started to experience several flakey hard to troubleshoot issues, which seem to all have QVMS in common. This is why I am asking the question, as one theory is that QVMS is not able to perform adequately (due to load on the server from QVDS) causing a bunch of issues.

Thanks again for your input.

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Check the OS system and application event logs. See if you see any issues with DNS. I have seen that happen where the QMC can resolve the QVS server name.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Bill, I've just seen this exact same issue in a customer today.

QMS is working fine then suddenlty reports QVS being unreachable. After a while everything is working fine again.

An error is being logged in the management console log files, this only seems to affect the management console, no issues reported from end users.

We're in the process of openning a support case, I'll update the thread if we find anything.

rothtd
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thanks for the input Daniel. I think my two threads are similar and might (for me) have the same root cause.

http://community.qlik.com/message/340511#340511

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Support claims out problems might be due to a corrupt .SHARE file.

The customer will have to go through all their SHARE files and check them all to rule this out.