cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
theresaa
Contributor III
Contributor III

QVS trusting/passing credentials from WSS3.0 server

We are installing QVS 8.5 64 bit. We would like our Sharepoint server to be able to request documents from the QVS server without requiring an additional logon. How can I make the QVS recognize the user id and password used when logging on to the Sharepoint server? Both servers are in the same domain. I think we have trusts set up properly between the two machines. We have added the Sharepoint server as an administrator on the QVS server. If we use Windows Authentication, we are prompted again for credentials, if we use Basic Authentication, the QV application thinks that the user is the person logged on to the physical machine they are accessing Sharepoint from. Any ideas??? Windows Server 2008 on QVS server, Windows 2003 on Sharepoint server. IIS7 on QVS. IIS6 on Sharepoint server.

8 Replies
Not applicable

Microsoft ISA is what we use. It takes a bit of set up from someone who is familiar with the technology but is an excellent solution.

Bjorn_Wedbratt
Former Employee
Former Employee

This can be a tricky question, so first of all I need to know; can the end-user access both servers? How are the user going to access the document(s)? Using Plugin, Java or AJAX? If AJAX, have you tried adding a Page Viewer Webpart and simply add a URL to the web site on QVS? Or do you want credentials to be passed along to the QVS, acting as a back-end server (Iike Client -> Sharepoint -> QVS, rather than Client -> Share Point / Client -> QVS)?

"if we use Basic Authentication, the QV application thinks that the user is the person logged on to the physical machine they are accessing Sharepoint from. "

Which web site did you configure for Basic Authentication? MOSS or the web site hosted on QVS?

Passing credentials through a middle-server (also known as delegation or Kerberos double hop) can be a tricky procedure, but maybe this is not what you want? Here's a link explaining it, to see if that's what you're after: http://blogs.technet.com/askds/archive/2008/06/13/understanding-kerberos-double-hop.aspx

theresaa
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Our 'plan' (if we can get it to work) would be this: A user logs on to our Sharepoint site using Internet Explorer. They are authenticated to the Active Directory with their userid and password. Our QlikView applications are menu options on the Sharepoint Server (WSS). The menu option is actually a URL to the QV Server where the application is. We are using the Plugin. The problem is that if we use Window Authentication, we are prompted to re-enter our credentials when the plugin is opening the application. We did not want the user to have to log on again. If we change the QVS server to use Basic Authentication, we are no longer prompted for credentials, but the NTname that the QlikView application has when it opens is the name of the user who logged on and started the server that QVS is on. This means that our security does not work since we use section access and data reduction based on NT name. I have passed your answer to Bill Britt (QV Consultant) who is currently trying to get this to work for us. Thank You for your help, and I hope that I have explained our situation well enough.

theresaa
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for your answer - I will forward this to our QV Consultant who is trying to help us with this.

Not applicable

Hi, what was the answer you are referring to as I may be doing the same ting myself soon!

Cheers,

Jane

theresaa
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Jane,

I was forwarding the Microsoft MSI answer to our QV Consultant. But, sadly, we have not been successful getting this to work yet with any solution. We have hired an outside .net programmer to work on it for us, and we will see how it goes. If we are ever successful, I will certainly post the answer. Good luck, and let me know if you reach any solution.

Thanks

Theresa

Not applicable

Theresa,

Did you find the solution for your problem?

If yes, please let us know the solution details.

Thanks

Praveen Chand

theresaa
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Praveen. Yes, we had to hire a consultant who wrote a custom piece of code that handles the problem All I know is we use tickets to get it to work. Sorry I can't be more help but I don't really know how they dd it.....