Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cjzimm76
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

QlikView Publisher: Loop and Reduce with Section Access not providing security

I'm having a problem with the security of the dashboard files that are getting created by a job task.  Using QV11, I am running a loop and reduce on a file that also has section access in it (due to the numerous combinations of data reduction needed to be done).  The loop and reduce is based on a User field in the dashboard.  Each user gets their own file created as they should for their business lines.  The section access should further filter data with their business line by segment.  The only problem is that each user can see and open every other users file.  I had this task and dashboard set up on an old server with QV 10 and everything worked fine.  But now we've migrated to a new server and upgraded to QV11 but the security isn't working.

I have the Section access check box check with the Admin user name and password on the Reload tab of the task.  On the Manually tab under the Distribute tab, I have All Authenticated Users selected in the User Type box.

On the old server, each file that got created for a user, if you right click on the .qvw file and go to Properties > Security, only the user and the admin had permissions to the file.  But on the new server, each file that gets created, if you right click on the .qvw file and go to Properties > Security, the Authenticated Users group and the Admin has permissions to the file.

Why is this happening?

3 Replies
pablolabbe
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Charlie,

Your answer is on your own words. When you say "On the Manually tab under the Distribute tab, I have All Authenticated Users selected in the User Type box."

To distribute a QVW as desired, you don´t use the "Manually" tab, but "Loop Field in Document" tab instead.

You need a field with the network name  (Domain\user) of each user and this field will be used in "Field Containing Recipient Information" property.

In the "Check User Identity On drop-down list", select the SAMAccountName option.

And finally, in the Target Type drop-down list, select the QlikView Server option.

Have you checked the distribution configuration in the old server ?

Best Regards,

Pablo Labbe

cjzimm76
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

I had set up the Loop Field in Document tab as well as the Manually tab.  Just like you mentioned above.  So I kept that tab and removed what I had under the Mannually tab.  This time when it ran, no files were created by the loop and reduce task.  In the task log, it did give me a warning message that says "Warning: Dynamic Distribution returned no recipients using "SAMAccountName" using parameter "USER""

cjzimm76
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

On the old server I noticed that after the files for each user are created, that if I right click the file and go to Properties and then to the Security tab, the user account and the QV admin account have permissions on the file.  But on the new server, when I check the file permissions for each file, the All Users group and the QV admin account have been given permissions.

This would seem to be why users can open other user's .qvw files after the loop and reduce and section access.

So why would one task on one server (QVS 10) give different permissions to .qvw files than the same task on another server (QVS 11)?