Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QlikView Server and AD

Hello All,

I'm trying to setup Server v9 SR2 to work with AD. In the Directory Server Connectors I have filled the Directory Service Path, and also username and password, but after trying to login with a AD user nothing happens.

Is there a good instruction on how to setup QV with AD. The manual is not very useful.

Should the server be in the same domain as the AD? What authentication method is used if AD and Custom Directory Server Connectors are configured and many other questions are not covered at all in the manual.

9 Replies
lhr
Employee
Employee

hello,

are you running the QVS in DMS or NTFS mode?

is it a multi-domain environment?

cheers,

lars

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

We are using NTFS mode.

The Qv Server is not in domain. Is it necessary for the server to be in a domain to work with AD (to take the user from the AD)?

Not applicable
Author

If your server is not in the domain, you can't use NTFS you have to use DMS.
Anyway if you want use Integrated windows authentication you've to put your server in the domain, bye.

lhr
Employee
Employee

if you are running in NTFS mode it is the permissions on the actual files that are used, and the QVS isn't using the DSC to resolve groups. if you can't get permissions from the ad domain on the files, then you can't use NTFS mode.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the replies.

We have included the server to be in the domain, and now ereyting is fine with NTFS security.

Do you know how to make the login.htm page active? Especialy what to fill in the "User name header: " filed.

lhr
Employee
Employee

the login.htm page is only used if you are using custom users in DMS mode instead of NTFS and AD.

"user name header" is used if you want the user credentials to be supplied from a 3rd party directory catalogue (like siteminder for example).

what are you trying to accomplish?

Not applicable
Author

I want to make possible for some external users - out of our organization to access the QlikView reports.

I don't want to create an acount in our AD for them. Maybe it is better to change the security to DMS and to enable the login.htm?

lhr
Employee
Employee

if it is feasible you can use anonymous access for the external parties.

if not feasible i would like to suggest that you can set up local users on the QVS machine, but as can be seen here: http://community.qlik.com/forums/t/20533.aspx , it can be troublesome.

the next thing that comes to mind is moving to a DMS / Custom users solution, but that would mean your internal users would have to login as well.

cheers,

lars

Not applicable
Author

You can still use NTFS if your server is not on the domain.

You can create users on the server to mimick the AD of the domain, or to create new custom users/ groups altogether.

Computer Management - Users - Create New User