We have got a problem in QlikView web (Ajax). Suddenly one of our applications has started to freeze when we make a selection. Whenever we make a selection it stops working. This only happens with one of our applications (the largest one), and only on the web server. In desktop QlikView it runs fine. It used to work fine in the web too, but now it does not.
I thought it could be a memory issue on the server, so I restarted all the services named something with QlikView. The memory usage dropped on the server, but it didn't help. The document still freezes when a selection is made in QlikView web.
Do you have any idea what I could do to solve this?
We've had this problem with a couple applications recently.
In one case the Current Selections box turned out to be the culprit and deleting/adding solved the problem. No good explanation why it happened other than we used the format painter tool to apply a style.
In the other cases we've come across the behavior involved dynamic content within containers. When the labels or visibility of a contained item changed the Ajax client went into vacant stare mode until we reloaded the browser. Replacing the content and/or removing the dynamic elements solved the problem in all cases.
Seems to happen in Ajax and web view within the desktop client, not in IE client or standard view in the desktop client. Also seems to have started recently but I can't name a specific version where the problem began.
We solved all our problems by creating a new app and pasting content in item by item, testing after each item, until it broke and then changing that specific item. Tedious. Love to hear if anyone has a better method!
Such behaviour could be caused from a section access which might remove some data and some calculation have now no proper associations. Another point could be different releases between the desktop client and the server. If both isn't the case I would just create a new sheet as landing page with a few listboxes and then check if it further freezed and if not just adding step by step further objects to find this one on which it breaks.
Yes, this could be - releases should in general not be mixed up and especially if there were no other changes it makes it more likely that there is any incompatibility between them.
The simplest approach would be to check it with an older backup of the app which wasn't touched from the newer release. Maybe also working might be to downgrade the desktop again and to reload and save the app with it and to check again.