Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Qlikview AD or DMS authorisation?

At this moment we are using the AD for the authorisation in Qlikview.

We only have one problem at this moment ... we cannot change the AD authorisation ourselves, another departement (ICT) is responsible for AD changes company wide (so also for our Qlikview AD). So if we have changes (new user/document etc) this means we have to ask ICT to make these changes in AD. The problem here is that we often have changes and ICT says its a really big amount of work to change the AD.

I saw that there is also the possibility to use DMS authorisation in which the Qlikview itself manages the file system of Qlikview ...

Does anyone have experience with DMS authorisation? Is this easy to use and not a lot of work?

I also have the question if Qlikview is better of using AD or DMS authorisation?

rgrds,

Anita

19 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi Anita,

we use DMS and its working fine and its also very flexible to use from my point of view. I never used AD

regards

Sravan

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

We only used AD ... I can't test it out because we don't have a seperate test system available 😉

Since we are looking for a solution to avoid extra workload for our ICT departement we are looking for a solution.

DMS authorisation ... does this mean that you have to enter for each file the users?

Not applicable
Author

Hi Anita,

No the users are centrally created as shown below in the diagram. For that create custom path as in the general tab below and in the users tab below add users.

DMS.jpg

After the user is centrally created in the above tab, you have to assign each user  for each application present in the below tab

User-QEMC.jpg

Thats it and you dont need more settings

Regards

Sravan

ashfaq_haseeb
Champion III
Champion III

Hi Anita,

You need not to buy a test server to do this.

just go to system --> Setup --> qlikview server --> Security tab

change the authorization from NTFS to DMS apply and save setting

Now go to Document's tab.

select an application, there you find authorization's tab add user here.

Apply save and restart services once.

Note: DMS authorization will not work with SBE.

Hope that helps

Regards

ASHFAQ

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Good to know ... That means every user gets a new username + password for Qlikview.

Not really ideal in our situation ... we'll take this into account with our internal discussion about this theme.

Not applicable
Author

Yes everyuser gets a new username and password. The password can be changed later again by the user..

I found it flexible. I dont know why it does not suit your situation.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

For our users it's not desirable to have lots of usernames/passwords for all different systems we have within our organisation ...

In this case it's probably more likeable to use AD since all systems use the same AD login.

For maintenance it's way better for ourselves because now it takes a lot of time (since other departements should do the changes in the AD) ...

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Anita, just to clarify.

- You need an Enterprise QlikView Server license to have DMS in place.

- You do not need to create new usernames or set any passwords, you can still use AD users and integrated sign on.

- DMS will allow you to add authorization to documents using AD Groups and individual users.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

We do have an Enterprise Qlikview Server + Publisher license.

But how do you identify the users in DMS?? Don't you have to create the users/passwords??

Don't see the connection AD / DMS totally clear . . .

I do understand that you say AD can be used and DMS can be used as extra layer of authorisation ...

But don't you get lost in this web of authorisation?? It sounds to me that the overview of authorisation gets lost in this way ...

How to keep track of the AD / DMS authorisations made . . .