Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Reload is fast, but Distribution is slow on large QVW

Hello QlikView Community!!

Need help understanding how the Distribution Service works.   I have a 2GB QVW file that reloads under 3 minutes.  This is perfectly acceptable for our purpose.  However when the publisher attempts to distributes this file, it takes close to 1 hour to distribute.   Both the Server and the Publisher is on the same Windows 2008 server with 190GB ram (12 core).  I don't believe hardware is the issue.  We have enough memory to support.

By looking at the log file, it seems as thought the publisher is writing in increments via buffer to upload to a directory on the same physical server (end user document).   If I manually copy and past the 2GB file its very fast,   but letting the publisher do the work, its very slow.

Could we increase the buffer size and how would I do this?   Any other tips to increase performance of the DistributionService?   I've already set the QV Engine to 9 as recommended.

Regards

Mike

8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

HI!

If its on the same machine, would it be possible to "Distribute to a Folder" instead?

The one drawback I see is, that the .qvw.meta-File is not written. So you can't make use of Accesspoint-Categories, etc...

QlikView Management Console - Mozilla Firefox_2013-01-10_18-16-50.png

Not applicable
Author

In theory could we do this.

1.  For the first time setting up a QVW on access point, distribute it on server.

2.  Once that is done and the proper category is created on access point,  the proper   qvw.Meta file is already generated.

3.   Modify my reload task, so that instead of distributing it over to server, distribute it to folder.  This would just overwrite the QVW and not the .META file which is okay since I don't excpect much content to change in the qvwMeta file

Would this be right?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Yes right;

Just one limitation: When I remember correctly, the "Last reload"-Time is stored in the .META-file as well. So Accesspoint will always show the date of your "Step 1.".

Not applicable
Author

Yes you are right, i just confirmed this.

Any any to attach an API call to modify the meta-file?  so that it shows the last time it was refreshed via "distributed to folder"

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Unfortunately not

.qvw.shared and .qvw.meta-Files are internal files without any API..

nowadays .qvw.shared files can be "managed" with QV Power Tools (http://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-3059), but I don't think they include any functionality for .qvw.meta files..

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

You could always add a line at the end of your script:

LET vReloadTime = Now();

Then use this variable in the UI instead of ReloadTime()

Hope this helps,

Jason

markusjahr
Contributor III
Contributor III

Ich habe das selbe Problem.

Das schreiben der QVWs  dauert sehr lang wenn dies der Distribution Service erledigt, selbst wenn es auf dem gleichen Server ist.

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hallo @markusjahr,

As this forum thread was started over 10 years ago, suggest that you start a new thread and provide version information along with task and document logs for the reload run by QDS and document log for reload run on QV Desktop for review. Thanks!

Best Regards

Principal Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!