Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Section Access and User Types in QMC

Hi,

I have an Application with Section Access and I am trying to distribute this app with Publisher. On the "Distributor" tab, I have to select "User Type". If I select "all authenticated users", will it then be all users in my Active directories or only the users listed in the Section Access table of the QV app? Which user type is the best option together with Section Access?

4 Replies
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

HI,

"Authenticated"  would mean any user that has access to the AccessPoint and has a License. This could be an issue if you have session CALs. No, they wouldn't have access to any document that had section access, but it isn't a good practice to do.

If you are using Section Access, you are looking to secure the document. I would only publish it to users that are listed in Section Access.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable
Author

Ok... so "Named User" is the best way to distribute a QVW with Section Access. Normally I am using an Active Directory Group with users that also are listed in Section Access, but is there a way to simplify the user management process? I mean, if you get a new user, I first have to add it to the AD group and than to the Section Access list (Section Access Management in QMC).

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

You can use groups in section access also.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

And you can distribute to AD groups as well. That would move the entire user management back to AD and only AD. Your SA table will contain a single line (the group name) and your distribution list will list only a single line as well (the same AD group). While being a nice simplification in itself, you gain one invaluable advantage: a unique spot where you manage users.

The only thing that is left is the assignment of licenses, which is more of a delicate matter and cannot be done using groups.

Best,

Peter