Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mike_garcia
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Section Access behaving different in QVDesktop and Access Point

Hello,

I've come across a very strange issue regarding Section Access. I hope someone can help me understand what's the matter and how to fix it.

I have an application with Section Access using just ACCESS, USERID and PASSWORD. Data Reduction is enabled. When I open the application via QVDesktop, it asks for the UserID and Password, I entered them and the application opens. So far so good.

The problem is when I open the same application, using the same machine (the server) and the same UserID and Password BUT via Access Point. (http://localhost/qlikview). It still asks for the UserID, which I enter, then the password, which I enter, then it asks for the user again (I'm using copy-paste to avoid misspelling and have done it several times, I also tried typing them directly). It just wont open the application.

I also tried 'Open in Server' and that did not work either, even when Im using QVDesktop.

Any help is appreciated.

Mike.

Miguel García
Qlik Expert, Author and Trainer
5 Replies
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Could it be that you're actually opening a different application? Meaning, in QVDesktop you were opening the application before it was reloaded (from the Source Document folder) and in AccessPoint you are opening it post-reload (from the User Document folder)? If that's the case, then you might see the behavior you described if the Publisher account removed all values for your UserID. You should add the Publisher account into the Section Access with ADMIN rights, give him a value of * for the reduced field, and specify "star is *;" (see the manual for more details on this). You would then need to let it reload the application, and try again.

Regards,

flavio_fazzano
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Mike,

please, create a text object with the following sentence "=osuser()" to see the user that is connected

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mike,

I'm assuming here that you're using Strict Exclusion (under the Opening tab in doc settings) and also that the account you're trying to log on with has no reduction value but is rather an admin or something who should have rights to everything?

The thing is, when logging on to a document via QVS, every connection is considered to have ACCESS level USER. No ADMINs when accessing the document in the client/server setup. If you have strict exclusion, and no reduction value for QV to reduce on, it will not let you in since your access level is USER but instead prompt you again for another set of credentials that might have access. Make sure that you have proper reduction values for the user that you're trying to log on with.

mike_garcia
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

Thank you all for your Replies.

- Vlad: No, I was using the exact same document. In fact, I was reloading it manually (with limited load in Debug Mode, ensuring all the records of the UserID table were loaded) to make different tests and publish it in Access Point to see if the behavior continued.

- Flavio: That would be a good idea if I were using NTNAME as a possible authentication method, but I was using only USERID and PASSWORD.

- Johannes: That is a very accurate explanation, but only confirmed it after realizing what I had done to mess it all up. However, I differ in something: why would an ADMIN have no access to the application via Access Point?. I then resolved the issue (I describe the solution below) and confirmed that an ADMIN user with No reduction values (meaning, he can view all data) has indeed access to the application. Maybe I did not understand your point well.

I followed this steps to replicate the problem in a Dummy application.

- Create New QV Doc.

- Load the following script :

Section Access;
LOAD * INLINE [
ACCESS, USERID, PASSWORD, GROUP
ADMIN, ADMIN, ADMIN, ALL
ADMIN, ADMIN2, ADMIN2, ABC
USER, USER1, USER1, ALL
USER, USER2, USER2, AB
];

Section Application;

Star is *;

LOAD * INLINE [
GROUP, Client
ALL, A
ALL, B
ALL, C
ALL, D
ALL, E
ABC, A
ABC, B
ABC, C
AB, A
AB, B
];
Sales:
LOAD * INLINE [
Client, Sales
A, 45
B, 35
C, 14
D, 5
E, 78
A, 23
B, 2
C, 45
D, 86
E, 78
A, 45
B, 43
C, 12
];

- Full Reload, Create an Object and Save.

- Reopen the Doc with ADMIN user and Check the 'Initial Data Reduction Based on Section Access'

- Save and Close QV App.

// So Far, everything works as expected in both QVDesktop and QVS.

- Reopen the App with ADMIN user and Uncheck the 'Initial Data Reduction Based on Section Access'.

- Save and it will ask for a new Doc name, just replace it.

// Continues to work as expected in both QVDesktop and QVS. Meaning it does not reduce the Data.

- Reopen the Doc with ADMIN user and Check the 'Initial Data Reduction Based on Section Access'. Yes, AGAIN.

- Save (now it does not asks for a new Doc name) and Close QV App.

- Try to open the App in QVDesktop with ADMIN2 or USER1 and it opens but NO data reduction takes place. USER2 (The last entry in the Section Access Table) does not have access.

- Try to open the App in Access Point or QVS with ADMIN2 or USER1 (the same usernames entered in QVDesktop) and the problem arises. Those users can not open the Doc via QVS or Acces Point, but they can do it locally with no Data Reduction (even when it is specified). The user ADMIN (the one who changed the 'Initial Data Reduction Based on Section Access' the last time) does have access with both QVDesktop and QVS.

- I then Debugged the app, modifying some parts of the Section Access Script and doing a limited load of 5 lines (in the Table that controls Data Reduction, the first 5 records correspond to the 'ALL' Group (Users ADMIN and USER1). The reason I debugged the app is because that is what I was doing (with 600 lines) in the original app because it was taking about 40 minutes to load completely, and for testing purposes it was not practical.

- Open the app in QVS with users ADMIN and USER1 and it will open. However, USER2 and ADMIN2 will keep asking for credentials, which is what Johannsen said about "no reduction value for QV to reduce on, it will not let you in".

- The app still opens in QVDesktop with the ADMIN2 user, but no Data Reduction takes place.

Solution:

- Always check the 'Initial Data Reduction Based on Section Access' setting before adding Section Acces or

- Do a Full Reload and everything gets back to normal. Data Reduction Takes Place, all users have their corresponding access.

Final Comment:

I believe it should not work that way that if I check, uncheck, and check back again the 'Initial Data Reduction Based on Section Access' setting it stops working "logically", because that led me to do a Debug, which confused me even more.

I also don't know what led me to check, uncheck and check back again in the first place, but oh well.

Thank you all for your help.

Mike.

Miguel García
Qlik Expert, Author and Trainer
comunico
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Hi Mike and All,

I have the same problem.

If I use NTName there aren't problem. But with simple section access I can open the document with the local client but I can't open the same document by Access Point (web client, different NTUser).

Any Ideas?