Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Section Access with Loop and Reduce - error

Hi.

In connection with a Section Access setup, where an Admin user is granted access to all Countries by the use of a *, everything is working fine.

But when the Loop and Reduce function is added, resulting in different country versions of the Source dokument, it looks like the * functionalitet doesn't work. Suddenly the user gets an: access denied, allthough the user has been granted access to all data, and therefor also the data in a reduced dokument.

Is this a bug - or is the * functionality for some strange reason designed to (not) work like that.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

Blank should only be used for the service account that is doing the reloads and not in desktop.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

The star in section access is a little tricky.  Lets say I have a country table with USA, France, Germany, Sweden and UK and my load statement is

Section Access;
LOAD * INLINE [
ACCESS, USERID, GROUP
ADMIN, ADMIN, *
USER, USER1, A
USER, USER2, B
USER, USER3, C
]
;
Section Application;

LOAD * INLINE [
GROUP, COUNTRY
A, USA
B, FRANCE
C, GERMANY
]
;

LOAD * INLINE [
COUNTRY, DATA
USA, 5
FRANCE, 10
GERMANY, 15
SWEDEN, 20
UK, 25
]
;

So when I run this and login as admin I see the below.

1.png

Notice I only see France Germany and USA. The reason  this happens is * means all listed values. This means Admin will see what User1, User2 & User3 sees.

If you want to see all the values, you need to remove the * and leave it blank.  Now when I reload Admin will see all the data.

2.png

Bill

To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable
Author

Hi BB.

Thanks for getting back. I should have mentioned, that I did find the reason for the problem. In a Section Application load I had the Section Access Table loaded, so that it's possible to see, what is going on in the Section Access section.

What I didn't remember was to Qualify the the relevant NTNAME and ACCESS field, and with the reduce function in play that created the confusion.

About the difference between blank and * loads. It looks like a "blank" load and Strict Exclusion doesn't play well together.

But as mentioned: I did get it to work. Thanks again.

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

Blank should only be used for the service account that is doing the reloads and not in desktop.

Bill