Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Sharing licenses between servers

Please can you share your thoughts on the below:

1 Qlikview server being accessed by users from different geographical locations. To cater with the performance issues over the network bandwidth,can we install an additional Qlikview server in another location, and SHARE THE QLIKVIEW CALs among the 2 servers?

Thanks in advance

11 Replies
kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

There is no way you can use the same license on two servers, if you do this your QlikView server will go offline and stop working.

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Not applicable
Author

Kaushik,

Thanks for the quick response. I was also under the same impression, until I recently read that this is possible using a Clustered Qlikview Server license. Although using the clustered, only Session CALs can be shared...(attached document for reference: Page 12 - topic: Clustering and Load Balancing).

Although, I am not sure if this would prove to be a relevant solution.

Thanks

kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

Agree with you that its possible by Clustering the servers, but as far as I know there is a separate license for clustering the servers, so it might not work with your normal license.

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Not applicable
Author

Ok Thanks Kaushik..

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Robinson,

If you have a cluster license, all Named, Usage, Session and Document CALs in the server license will be available in all servers. Meaning that if USER1 has a license in SERVER1 and he tries to log in to SERVER2 that is part of the same cluster, the same license applies, he does not use another one.

Actually, a cluster is seen by QlikView as a "unique virtual server" or so, meaning that all servers in the cluster share the same configuration. When you assign a license, you do it to the whole cluster, not in one specific server.

Put in different words: named, document, usage and session CALs are linked to a server license. In a cluster, two or more servers share the same license, therefore they have the same pool of licenses, regardless where you actually assign them.

The cluster license, though, is not the same as a Small Business or Enterprise Edition server license. Contact your QlikView sales rep in order to find the most suitable licensing scenario for you.

Hope that helps.

Miguel

manojkvrajan
Luminary
Luminary

Michael is correct. To add on.. It is possible to address any CAL challenges (NAMED / SESSION / DOCUMENT) by clustering the servers.  Please work with QT Account Manager to get a clustered license (LEF) file of the following format. In addition, QEMC should be configured to make these servers behave like a clustered server. It is good to start with the Architecture defining the servers for Distribution and host User Documents and reach out to QT Account Manager. There is no additional cost to the license key to my knowledge.

################

NUMBER_OF_CLUSTER_NODES;5;;

NUMBER_OF_USERCALS;100;;

PRODUCTLEVEL;10;;2015-01-01

WEBPARTS;YES;;

xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx

dde
Employee
Employee

The only problem with clustering is that in QV11 we do not support clustering across multi-geographic locations.

Not applicable
Author

Many Thanks Miguel, Dave and Manoj.

Dave, Does this mean that I cannot have 2 servers in 2 geographical locations and still share them as 1 cluster?

and are you saying that this was possible in QV 10?

If you see my original post, I am looking to set up 2 servers in 2 geographical locations (to improve network performance), and want to share the CALs.

Thanks in advance.

Not applicable
Author

I am getting a bit confused here...

Okay, I have 1 enterprize edition server with publisher in location A, and another Small Business Edition Server in location B.

Now i want to transfer/share within both locations. Is this possible using a publisher?

Thanks,

Robinson