Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nayanpatel
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Status of QDS service is always "need restart"

Hi All,

Wanted to know why we are getting attached warning message in QMC. It will not impact on any job scheduled.

Status of QDS is always 'Need restart'

Details:

MS Server 2012  64bit

QlikView Server 11.20 64 bit

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

If the solutions in threads Miguel provided do not resolve your issue, ensure that the value in QMC > System > Setup > Distribution Services > QDS@ > General tab > Application Data Folder is the same value in %ProgramFiles%\QlikView\DistributionService\QVDistributionService.exe.config file,  <add key="ApplicationDataFolder" value=""/> (between the "").

If they aren't the same, try the following steps:

• Stop QlikView Management Service (QMS) and QlikView Distribution Service (QDS)
    Navigate to %ProgramFiles%\QlikView\DistributionServices and open the QVDistributionService.exe.config file for editing
  • Find <add key="ApplicationDataFolder" value="" />
  • Enter the same value found in QMC > System > Setup > Distribution Services > QDS@ > General tab >  "ApplicationDataFolder" between the parantheses
  • Save the QVDistributionService.exe.config file
  • Start QMS & QDS

Hope this helps,

Chip

Principal Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

If the solutions in threads Miguel provided do not resolve your issue, ensure that the value in QMC > System > Setup > Distribution Services > QDS@ > General tab > Application Data Folder is the same value in %ProgramFiles%\QlikView\DistributionService\QVDistributionService.exe.config file,  <add key="ApplicationDataFolder" value=""/> (between the "").

If they aren't the same, try the following steps:

• Stop QlikView Management Service (QMS) and QlikView Distribution Service (QDS)
    Navigate to %ProgramFiles%\QlikView\DistributionServices and open the QVDistributionService.exe.config file for editing
  • Find <add key="ApplicationDataFolder" value="" />
  • Enter the same value found in QMC > System > Setup > Distribution Services > QDS@ > General tab >  "ApplicationDataFolder" between the parantheses
  • Save the QVDistributionService.exe.config file
  • Start QMS & QDS

Hope this helps,

Chip

spcpeters
Contributor II
Contributor II

Should anyone need it. I tried the solutions above, but that didn't work for me. I my particular case it turned out that the applicationdata folder had been moved. I reflected the change properly in QMC and in the 'QVDistributionService.exe.config' files. I noticed that in the Windows Event viewer the error kept calling out the old folder. I found that inside the new application data folder there is a file called Configuration.xml where there is one entry like this:

<ApplicationDataFolder Path="\\chcss302\Logs\QDS" />

This was still pointing at the old folder. After changing the folder path and restarting the nodes, the 'restart required' message disappeared.

Lokeshb31
Contributor III
Contributor III

This worked for me however it shows information for new path 

Lokeshb31_0-1649856204035.png

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

@Lokeshb31 

Thanks for posting that screen capture. It's from a newer version of QlikView Server (v12.50/v12.60) that identifies the differences between the default locations of the configuration files and existing locations of these files.  This was a newer feature and not present in earlier versions of QlikView Server.

Best Regards

Bithi_Biswas
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @Chip_Matejowsky 

the value for <add key="ApplicationDataFolder" value=""/ is blank in our %ProgramFiles%\QlikView\DistributionService\QVDistributionService.exe.config file.

But we are not getting any issues, however we have defined the Application Data value in QMC > System > Setup > Distribution Services > QDS@ > General tab > Application Data, but the same is not reflecting in the QVDistributionService.exe.config file.

Also Under the service tab in QMC  for QDS it is showing that "All values are default", we are using Qlikview April 2020 SR4 and the application data value is set to a NAS drive from QMC. 

Our understanding is whatever value we set from the QMC it should be added to the QVDistributionService.exe.config file. let us know if we are doing something wrong.

Thanks,

Bithi