Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bhelms
Creator
Creator

Task Failure - The specified network name is no longer available

I need help to troubleshoot a failure we are getting randomly on our production server. Jobs will randomly fail and give the below error message. We don't see any errors in Event Viewer on the server other than what QlikView is providing. I don't beleive we are losing network connectivitiy to our NAS because other jobs run fine at the same time that some will fail. Immediately after the job fails it will run fine if we reload it, but can't always be watching the QEMC.

Email Error:

The task "" failed. Part of the log file follows:

7/22/2013 4:42:02 PM    Error      Exception=System.IO.IOException: The specified network name is no longer available.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.FileStream.ReadCore(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)

at System.IO.FileStream.Read(Byte[] array, Int32 offset, Int32 count)

at System.IO.StreamReader.ReadBuffer()

at System.IO.StreamReader.get_EndOfStream()

at QVBWrapper.Document.ReadDocumentLogThread(ILogBucket i_LogBucket, DateTime i_ReloadStartTime)

7/22/2013 4:42:02 PM    Error      Aborting Reload. Error=QDSMain.TaskResult

7/22/2013 5:01:21 PM    Error      Reload failed.

7/22/2013 5:01:21 PM    Warning               Document was forcibly closed. Clean close was not possible.

7/22/2013 5:01:21 PM    Error      Reload failed. Distribution skipped.

7/22/2013 5:01:21 PM    Error      The task "" failed. ErrorCount=4

Event Viewer Log:

Exception=System.IO.IOException: The specified network name is no longer available. at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath) at System.IO.FileStream.ReadCore(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count) at System.IO.FileStream.Read(Byte[] array, Int32 offset, Int32 count) at System.IO.StreamReader.ReadBuffer() at System.IO.StreamReader.get_EndOfStream() at QVBWrapper.Document.ReadDocumentLogThread(ILogBucket i_LogBucket, DateTime i_ReloadStartTime)

25 Replies
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

To start QlikView does not support NAS storage devices. With that said, need ot look at you OS System and application event logs for errors and warning outside of QlikView. This would be caused my an DNS issue.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
bhelms
Creator
Creator
Author

I do not see any errors or warnings in the Event Viewer other than what QlikView is producing. I also assumed I would see something that would help me troubleshoot, but don't see anything.

This is not the first time that I have heard that QlikView doesn't support NAS/SAN drives. It does surprise me however. I can't immagine not using a NAS/SAN drive to hold the published documents. In a clustered environment, it is a fairly standard practice to not use local drives to ensure document uptime. Is there a solution that QlikView does recommend other than local drives?

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

SAN's are supported, but not NAS.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm Facing the same issue, and I'm also very surprised by the "NAS not supported" answer as all "local" Qlikteck guys we talked with, from "Consulting Services Director" to "Experts" exposed us the NAS solution as the only way to create distribution clusters.

What is the officially supported way to create a QDS Cluster and a Server cluster ?

Is there a keynote or something that states that NAS is not supported, so I could debate with those who have driven us to the NAS use ?

Thanks

Manu

Not applicable

Shared network storage is required for storage of QlikView applications that are needed in the cluster. It is recommended to host the storage of documents (

.qvw files) and .meta data on a Windows-based file share. QlikView Publisher supports a SAN (NetApp, EMC, etc.) that is mounted to a Windows Server 2003 (or later) and then shared from that server. Storage presented to a server via a SAN must appear as locally attached storage. If SAN storage is used for Publisher, any distributed data that is accessed by QlikView Server should not reside on the SAN storage.

The QlikView Distribution Services (QDSs) must have a shared application data directory and possibly a shared source document directory as well (hence the requirement for a shared network storage). All configured Publisher services must have reliable network access to the shared storage.

Alejandro_Hernández
Former Employee
Former Employee

Brian, were you able to solve this issue?

Not applicable

Hi Andreas,

Could you eloborate your quote a little? I don't see the point.

"If SAN storage is used for Publisher, any distributed data that is accessed by QlikView Server should not reside on the SAN storage."

Our Puplisher's do have its QVWs and QVDs stored on the very sam SAN-LUN-Windows-Share, that is used for the Server Cluster Document Root and even Accesspoint.

Why do you would you recommend otherwise? And how?

bhelms
Creator
Creator
Author

I was never able to solve this issue and it has now begun appearing again. I can't figure out if it is an actual network/windows issue, or a QlikView issue. I can't find any logs in the event viewer that show a network disappearance and our network team assures us that there is no degradation from the network drive. If anyone has any new experiences with this, please let us know.

Not applicable

Hi Brian,

We are running into the same issue with the same error, we are on QlikView 11.2 SR2, with clustered environment, data is on clustered managed SAN space,

we opened  a case with QlikTech.

so far, not any progress yet.