Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Task creation in version 9.0

Hello,

I have 2 questions regarding task creation in QV 9, as i am a little confused.

1. Should tasks be created in Mgmt Console or ENTERPRISE Mgmt Console? The reason I ask this is because we have tried doing both, and it appears only through ENTERPRISE Mgmt Console do we have the option to select the Server and Mount with the desired Users and Groups (DOCUMENTS--DISTRIBUTE---MANUALLY), and when tasks are created through regular management console there is no option to select the mounted folder. I just want to be clear on where the majority of chain tasks should be created, and if there are any potential issues with creating them in QMS vs QEMS.
  2. Secondly, if we want to create strictly Distribution tasks with no reload, is that simply a matter of unchecking the "Enabled" button under Reload in the task creation? Or is there more that is needed to be done?

In a nutshell, I am in the process of testing out a bunch of new loads through 9.0 and want to be sure I am creating my chain-tasks in the most efficient way possible.

thanks in advance,

James

PS Where can i view the log files to figure out where errors occured? I.E. where do i go to enable log creation and where are those files automatically stored?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Karl_Humma
Employee
Employee

1. If you have a publisher license key then use the enterprise management console (QEMC). It allows for many distribution task possibilities.

2. Correct.

Logfiles can be set in the QEMC on the System > Distribution Services > General Tab under Application Data Folder. By default it pushes the logs here:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\QlikTech\Publisher\Qlikview Distribution Service

They should be under the \1\Log\ folder in dated folders showing each task id and name with a tasklog.txt and/or documentlog.txt.

/Karl

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Karl_Humma
Employee
Employee

1. If you have a publisher license key then use the enterprise management console (QEMC). It allows for many distribution task possibilities.

2. Correct.

Logfiles can be set in the QEMC on the System > Distribution Services > General Tab under Application Data Folder. By default it pushes the logs here:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\QlikTech\Publisher\Qlikview Distribution Service

They should be under the \1\Log\ folder in dated folders showing each task id and name with a tasklog.txt and/or documentlog.txt.

/Karl

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Karl. This was very helpful. One followup to the log file question. Where can i view details for the WARNINGS i get when running a task? i just ran one that got warnings, but i dont see warnings anywhere in the log.

Thanks,

James

Karl_Humma
Employee
Employee

Same place in the QEMC as above set the Logging Level to Debug logging.

Also be aware that doing this will send everything to the logs so the log folder will get very big very fast. It is recommended that you either move it off of the system drive (c) or you can right click the log folder and under general properties >advanced select compress contents to save disk space as it is only text files.

/Karl