Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

The communication with QlikView Server failed (TimedOut)!

Hi,

I have the QMC, QVS, QDS and QVWS on different machines

In my QMC, when the reload part is done and it starts distribution, I see the below error

QVClient.ExecuteWithAttachments failed. Exception=System.Exception: The communication with QlikView Server failed (TimedOut)!

Does someone have any idea what this error is about? If it is about some network loss to QVS (I doubt that we have any network issue) but if there would be any, it could be for a very small time. Can someone tell me where to increase the timeout so that the task does not fail?

Shah

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
andybetterideas
Contributor II
Contributor II

I changed the 60 to 300 and it fixed it on my server. Probably overkill, but it did work.

<add key="SocketTimeOutInSeconds" value="60"/>

became

<add key="SocketTimeOutInSeconds" value="300"/>

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi

Sorry to say, this timeout is hardcoded to 1 minute. This should normally be plenty of time.

You might be having some network thoughput issues.

However there are some Distribution Service settings you can experiment with.

They are stored in [InstallationFolder]\Distribution Service\QVDistributionService.exe.config

In the "Misc Settings" section, you can tweak FileOperationBufferSize (one for DMS and one for NTFS).

I hope this helps.

IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Shah - Did you see this message again? How did you resolve it? We're having the same issue and we can't identify what's causing this issue. Any help on this really appreciated.

IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Magnus - Please can you elaborate on tweaking the buffer size? I mean why tweak it and what should be the right value?

Thank you in advance,

Cheers,

DV

Not applicable
Author

The setting is used when transferring the qvw file from QDS to QVS via a QVSFileStream. This can very large so it needs be split up in packages. Chunky vs chatty. Best performance is chunky but networks has limits on how large each package can be. Therefore the right value has to be tweak in each enviroment. That's why it is configurable.

IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Thanks Magnus. That makes sense. My understanding is that this setting is only when we do cluster distribution, however for folder distribution it shouldn't use QVS at all right?

Currently, we're only using folder distribution.But we still have this issue. Any other pointers will really help. Thanks

Not applicable
Author

Thats correct. The settings only affects QVS distributions.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Shah,

Did you got any luck with this issue? Have you resolved it already?

We're facing the same issue so any lead will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Not applicable
Author

Hello,

Have you found a solution to this problem?  I've been having this issue lately and cannot find a solution.

Thank you.

fmarvnnt
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi Magnus,

What are your suggested value for NTFS System with many task of GB files?

Thank you in advance,

Francesco M.