Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mvluttge
Partner - Contributor III

What is the maximum number of concurrent Publisher tasks?

Hi,

I have been browsing a bit for an answer to this, and I seem to find some different answers to the question.

So far I have seen three different answers to the question:

1. You can have as many tasks running simultaneously as you have CPUs in your server (in my case 4)
  2. You can have as many tasks running simultaneously as you have cores in your server (in my case 32)
  3. You can set it in the QMC under "Advanced" settings for the distribution service (what's the difference of "for distrubution" and "for administration"?)
    1. This one I would suspect is of any use only within the parameters of the environment, so whichever of no 1 or 2 that is correct.

I have plenty of memory (256GB) to draw from, so this shouldn't be an issue.

I hope someone have the answer, since I can't find any conclusive answer in the community nor in the server reference manual.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,

Martin

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable

Hi ,

You can have the total number of task as 32 as you have 32 core  in your system , but it is not advisable to keep all core busy in publisher task only . So in my opinion you should keep 20 concurrent task.

"For Distribution"  means the engine/core assign to the publisher for doing the reload and distribution works. And for "For Administrator" help you to keep the server free for doing any settings and activity as admin for various services. If you don't provide ample core to this services than it possible that at some point of time you cannot change the settings in the services.

And yes  if you have 256 GB Ram than there should not be any issue with  the memory.

Thanks,

D J

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Nicole-Smith

I believe it goes off of CPUs.  I wasn't the one to set up our server, but I took a look, and we have 7 concurrent tasks allowed to run at one time while we have 8 CPUs.

Not applicable

Hi ,

You can have the total number of task as 32 as you have 32 core  in your system , but it is not advisable to keep all core busy in publisher task only . So in my opinion you should keep 20 concurrent task.

"For Distribution"  means the engine/core assign to the publisher for doing the reload and distribution works. And for "For Administrator" help you to keep the server free for doing any settings and activity as admin for various services. If you don't provide ample core to this services than it possible that at some point of time you cannot change the settings in the services.

And yes  if you have 256 GB Ram than there should not be any issue with  the memory.

Thanks,

D J

Not applicable

Just because you have 32 cores available does not mean that you can run 32 tasks at the same time.
Its all comes down to planning and analyzing workload.

By default you will not be able to start more then 10 simultaneously com objects without configure desktop heapsize on your machine.

Then you also have to take in consideration that the machine needs to have the possibility to create com-objects outside Qlikview, so always reduce with -1. (10 cores = at most 9 simultansly qvbs running.)

So you have to know what kind of tasks you will run and what each task brings in consideration to workload(usage of cpu and ram)

mvluttge
Author

Fantastic, that was the answers I was looking for.

I have been doing a task matrix in order to see when my tasks would be executed, so I just wanted to check how many would be allowed to run simultaneously. The workload will the be the next consideration, but this makes it a bit easier to do that part.

Thanks a lot