Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Without assigning license,can we use any new server as File Server?

Hi,

We bought new server and planning to switch our publisher to that new server. I have installed QV server on it however I have not applied previous servers license so can I use this new server as a file server just to test whether applications.

BR,

Anta

4 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Anta,

If you mean you want to use this computer as a file server, then that's right, you don't need any license. But if you mean you want to use it as a "QlikView test server" then it will not work unless it has a valid license applied. Note that you cannot have two Servers running with the same license number if this does not allow Clustering. If you do, one server will run OK, the other will shut down and display the message "Off Duty".

Hope that helps.

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

Hi Miguel Angel Baeyens,

Yes, I mean just a file server. Thanks.

BR,

Anta

Not applicable
Author

Hi Miguel Angel Baeyens,

So you mean I can copy my QVW files from old server to new server and run the applications wehter they are working or not, right?

But I am bit confused here about the concept of this file server

BR,

Anta

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Anta,

File Server means only storage, a place where you store files, and that's all. This does not require any license. You will use QlikView Desktop to locally open these files, and QlikView Desktop will have a valid license. Think of it as a USB hard disk, or an additional hard disk...

QlikView Server is a Server that not only stores files but is used to perform reloads and use the AccessPoint to visualize files. This does require a valid license. You will use IE Plugin, Dekstop using Open in Server or the Ajax client that require a document or user license assigned in the QlikView Server.

Miguel