Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

scalible publisher hadware configuration

We are working on a enterprise applicaiton development and wonder to know what kind for hardware configuration we can recomend for publisher server. We are expecting 500 MB to 1GB qvd and 25 to 50 users. We are proposing a 16 to 20 core + 128 GB hardware config  for Q server.

I would appreciate your advise and time.

Thanks.

3 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

It will depend very much on how complex the calculations are going to be, how many objects are going to be displayed at the same time, number of clicks the users are going to do, number of users at the same time in the same application, how much CPU does the application uses, how much RAM does the application uses when it is open and how much is required for each user...

In regards to CPU, as faster as possible (no joke, the most expensive is not always the best for heavy CPU usage).

Hope that gives you an idea.

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

Well, thanks for your quick responce.

Let me ask you, when you are design a application how do you calculate how much CPU your application will consume and RAM as well.

Since i dont know how much RAM and CPU they will consume and we are still working on schema and req gathering.

Tx.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

There are some ways of doing that, but most of the times it does with a process explorer or similar software to monitor what is happening on the server when the application is open, when a user connects, if the plugin works faster than Ajax...

And as soon as I'm getting some data to show, I create some charts with the basic design and again, start to monitor what happens when the chart is minimized, restored, exported, when the user clicks... There are some good practices in the Reference Manual but above all here in the Community, either in the Blogs (the Design Blog is a must in this particular), in the QlikViews section and in the Documents with lots of good documentations produced by people here at QlikTech.

But, just to mention a few, make sure to read carefully posts in regards to performance by John Witherspoon, Rob Wunderlich, Oleg Troyansky, Vlad Gutkovsky, Rakesh Mehta, Karl Pover, Steve Dark... (among many others, this is not a comprehensive list) that are very experienced and skilled QlikView professionals and have been testing and using the product quite thoroughly.

This said, in QlikView very few times there is such thing as "the recipe" of doing things best. What it's working for me and my customers like, it might not be what yours are expecting, and what my network doesn't support, yours does... It's not like 100M records equals to 100Mb RAM. How fast is a chart rendered, where is the minimum acceptable? This is something very difficult to say without knowing the requirements and the environment in depth.

Hope this helps you.

Miguel