I have a problem with a QlikView app in the management_console (Scheduler):
- Every day, that app runs every 3 hrs (without the Publisher, that's the best we could do for now).
- Always at 8am, the Scheduler generates an error:
- QlikView writes in the Log_file that it could not find the path of a file
<=> The path is correct, I can open it and I can manually reload the app.
=> My assumption (the only reason I can think of) is that at this time (8am for the last few days), someone is just editing the file, thus it is locked - when I would try to open it, there would be a dialog_box offering several options. I guess that stops QlikView from opening the file? Could that be so?
If so, is there any way around that (except what I'll do now, go to the people and tell them not to edit the file at those times)?
Thanks a lot!
I think your assumptions about the reason - access from another program - is right. If you could exclude access through any users or other update/export/... tasks, it could be that the cause are OS-features like the window shadow copy. You should look in the event-logs - is the cause here you should find appropriate pattern - I had have also such issues.
thanks a lot!
As a matter of fact, we are having more problems with this particular Excel file, so it might not be a QlikView_problem. We will still look into it. You mean the Event_logs of the physical server on which the QlikView_server is hosted, I guess?
Good thing that I asked.
They are not, of course. - Well, physically, I think they are.
The files are all on one NAS_drive - which might be the same physical server, I don't know - but they are surely separated somehow for we had to create a user with the access_rights on the paths where the files are and make the QlikView_server identify itself to the NAS as this user.
Then you should look to the events from NAS. This could be also any backup-routines or clean-up compaign or anti-virus activity or anything else which breaks the network.
that is a very good question 😉 I have no idea. I am no administrator - yet...
I'm going down to local IT now and I'll ask them - though I don't think that is the cause because there is already a number of apps in place accessing files on that NAS with no problems.
What makes the thing strange is that there are two more apps accessing the exact same file and they don't return an error, only this one.
We have set this app to run at another time - it might be that the QlikView_server runs into difficulties when three or four apps are scheduled for reload while another is still running - or it might be that someone is editing that file at that exact time. We'll see tomorrow.