Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

BINARY LOAD - why doesn't it work?

Hi,

I will have to implement some complex KPI into one of my apps. It already exists - just not quite correct and a bit outdated - in another, so I thought I'd begin by copying that.

It includes a BINARY LOAD. I copy-pasted that into the script in my app as the very first command on the "Main" tab - but it didn't work. So I deleted it and redid it using the wizard - but it still won't work.

The context is this:

- The datamodel is on the same server as the app, just in another directory on the same level

- I am generally using relative paths in my apps
=> The code is >>> Binary ..\02_datamodel\datamodel_syncreon_mgmt.qvw; <<<

When I used the wizard, it put the whole thing into square brackets - but it still didn't work, so I removed them for now.

Can someone help me here?

I guess once I have this working I will have to do a bit of consolidating for I have several other tables already in my app, among them a master_calendar that will probably be redundant - but first I have to get it working.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe there is a hidden script tab before the Main tab (?).  In this case the binary is not the first.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
rustyfishbones
Master II
Master II

Hi Friedrich,

Did you check in Document properties to see if Prohibit Binary Load is Clicked

2013-10-10_1518.png

swuehl
MVP
MVP

'Not working' is not a good error report.

Do you get an error message? If so, what does it say?

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

@ Alan

No, I haven't checked, I will do so now, but why should I have activated that...

@ swuehl

The error message in the script_execution_window is just "Unknown command" which is quite strange after using the wizard to insert it...

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

P.S.: I am unsure whether it would actually be so good an idea to use a BINARY LOAD or whether I should instead load just those qvd files I really need - BINARY LOAD is really fast, but still I'll end up with a lot of tables I don't need for this one KPI and which I will just have to delete - I don't know where the balance is.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

I only get this error message if binary statement is not on the very first line of your script (line 1), before all the set statements, etc. The wizard should insert it at this line, I am sure you don't have copied the binary statement to another place, right?

rustyfishbones
Master II
Master II

Hi Friedrich,

I assume this must be unticked, otherwise why have the option!

must check if that works too!

Regards

Alan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe there is a hidden script tab before the Main tab (?).  In this case the binary is not the first.

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

@ swuehl

No, I have it on the very first line of the "Main" tab already, before everything else.

@ Alan

I guess it must be unticked - but it is so by default, no? It's unticked in my app, anyway.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Just a note regarding the prohibit binary load option:

You need to control this option within the application you are trying to binary load, not the one you are inserting the statement.

rustyfishbones
Master II
Master II

Thanks for clearing that up swuehl!

Al