Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcamps
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

BINARY load with dynamic file name

Hi,

I have an environment where a UX.QVW needs to import the data structure from a Data.QVW using a binary load.

That would be very easy if the QlikMart file always had the same name - but it doesn't. The reasons are a little harder to explain, but for the purpose of simplicity, let's assume it's just a YearMonth suffix, for example Data_201505.QVW.

I need to get the BIINARY LOAD code right. I cannot use any other script sentences before to calculate the filename, so I expect dollar sign to be the solution, but cannot get it right. Something like:

BINARY QM_$(=year(today()*100+month(today())).qvw

... just does not work... it seems that the dollar sign with equal sign is not properly evaluated. It does work in an expression in a text box for example, but when debugging it in the load script, the $(=...) just evaluates to empty string or worse to '(internal error)'.

There might already be a solution in the community but I cannot find it...

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

- J

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
maxgro
MVP
MVP

I think with another .qvw, all files in same dir

a1.qvw           // make an include with a dynamic binary load

DIRECTORY;

let name = 'binary a_' & date(today(), 'YYYYMM') & '.qvw;';

tmp: load 0 as [$(name)]

AutoGenerate 0;

store tmp into a1.inc (txt);

output is a1.inc

1.png

a2.qvw           // binary load

$(Must_Include=a1.inc);

View solution in original post

8 Replies
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You expression should work if you do this:

BINARY_QM_$(=Year(Today())&Date(Today(),'MM')).qvw;

maxgro
MVP
MVP

I think with another .qvw, all files in same dir

a1.qvw           // make an include with a dynamic binary load

DIRECTORY;

let name = 'binary a_' & date(today(), 'YYYYMM') & '.qvw;';

tmp: load 0 as [$(name)]

AutoGenerate 0;

store tmp into a1.inc (txt);

output is a1.inc

1.png

a2.qvw           // binary load

$(Must_Include=a1.inc);

jcamps
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi Petter and thanks for the feedbackk, unfortunately it doesn't work, I'm consistently getting the same behavior in any expression I try with $(=...).

If used in the binary sentence, a "file not found" error pops up, and the filename is just as if the $(=...) returned empty string, see:

09-06-2015 21-23-01.jpg

My original expression had the same behavior.

I've tried putting it into a variable like so:

///$tab Main

set x = BINARY_QM_$(=Year(Today())*100 + month(Today())).qvw;

It does not work either, in the debugging trace is shows that the dollar sign evaluates to blank:

set x = BINARY_QM_.qvw

Whereas if i put in a Text Box in a sheet, the same expression:

='BINARY_QM_$(=Year(Today())*100 + month(Today())).qvw'

I get the expected result:

BINARY_QM_201506.qvw

Did I miss anything and the $(=...) expansion does NOT work on the script? If so... how can I achieve a binary load from dynamic filenames?

Thanks,

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

It just tried the expression that it fully evaluated into a string that should give the filename... but let me give it a try with a real BINARY quickly and I'll come back to you...

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I don't think the "=" within $() is a technique available in script. You can however reference a variable if you can pass the variable in.

jcamps
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Very nice trick / workaround Massimo!

I elaborated on your idea, since having the binary load on an external INC file was not a very secure strategy (a missing or deleted file would result in a unsecure UX document)

What I finally did is:

a) The DATA_YYYYMM.qvw creates, on its own reloading, the a1.inc file. (using Massimo's code)

b) On the hidden script of the UX, i'm doing a BINARY Data_$(=Must_include=a1.inc). That way if the file is wrong it just won't load at all, keeping security at bay.

Thx,

- J

jcamps
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi Rob, thanks... that clarifies the behavior! A pity .

I should mark your answer as correct, for future or other people's reference... but I think Massimo above came out with a workaround to overcome the script syntax limitation...

Thanks again,

chetanpatel
Contributor III
Contributor III

Cold  you please share your Qlick files