Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arixooo123
Creator III
Creator III

Best practice design pattern

Hey Guys,

I am developing qlik sense by QVD approach, I stored the qvds by a qvd generator app, created the model in another app, then added section access in a separate app.

my question is how to follow the development with best practice approaches?

Should I develop the dashboards in a separate app too? 

I also have another question, I imported the user list from a user table, each user has a key that defines what rows in fact table he can see.

Should I use NTNAME or USERID for usernames?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sibusiso90
Creator III
Creator III

NTNAME: QlikView will fetch the logon information from the OS and compare it to the value in this field.

USERID: This is when you want the app to ask you for a log in everytime you open it and not for it to search your os for your logon information

It depends on your situation for which one to use. I hope this helps. if not please ask

View solution in original post

5 Replies
sibusiso90
Creator III
Creator III

Hi AR eiuiew

Best Practise is to have an app which does all your transformation, then you have the last app that will only have the front end and will not have any transformation. They are usually three Tiers, were tier 1 just pulls the data and stores into qvds then tier 2 will do all the transformations then tier 3 will only have frontend. On Tier 1 and Tier 2 you will drop all the tables once they are stored into QVDs so that maintenance is quick and easy.

arixooo123
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thanks Sibusiso,

Any comment on the section access?

I created an app, did the binary load, created the section access. the funny thing is that I don't have access to that app once I load it, maybe because my user name is not in the list of users in the UserTable.

What is the difference of NTNAME and USERID?

Which one should I use?

sibusiso90
Creator III
Creator III

NTNAME: QlikView will fetch the logon information from the OS and compare it to the value in this field.

USERID: This is when you want the app to ask you for a log in everytime you open it and not for it to search your os for your logon information

It depends on your situation for which one to use. I hope this helps. if not please ask

arixooo123
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thanks mate,

Any idea when should I create this layer? I mean security layer, should I create it after finishing the dashboard development?

sibusiso90
Creator III
Creator III

I would advise creating the security layer when you are loading the data into the dashboard before you create the app as you will have data in the app and that could be sensitive data in wrong hands. What I always do, is to create an admin user for me to work and knowing my information is safe until you done, then add all the other users.