Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Can I restrict a binary load to what I need?

Hi,

we have a multi-layered QlikView architecture in our company. one of the layers is the QV document "Data_Model" which loads all of the qvd files that have previously been created by yet another QV document into RAM. That datamodel is then referenced via a binary load by other QV documents.

I have read about it and I know that it's possible to add tables to the datamodel or drop tables which are not needed for the current document - but can I also define which tables out of that datamodel I want to load? The Data_Model document is quite big and I don't see the point of loading hundreds of MB, only to drop the greater part of the tables again because I don't need them.

Since I can only have one binary load in my script, splitting the thing up into many parts is not an option.

Can anybody tell me my possibilities here?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

A binary load will load all the date from the source document. You can't limit the binary load. The easiest fix is to simply drop the tables you don't need afterwards. This is likely the fastest option. A binary load is very fast so even with a couple of hundred MB it should take only seconds. It's almost as fast as your harddisk or network can deliver the data. So either do a binary load (recommended) or load only the qvd's that contain the data you need.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

3 Replies
calvindk
Creator III
Creator III

As far as i know, there is no option to restrict the binary load. You have to drop tables after the binary load.

Maybe you could drop tables and save as another qvw in the original master.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

A binary load will load all the date from the source document. You can't limit the binary load. The easiest fix is to simply drop the tables you don't need afterwards. This is likely the fastest option. A binary load is very fast so even with a couple of hundred MB it should take only seconds. It's almost as fast as your harddisk or network can deliver the data. So either do a binary load (recommended) or load only the qvd's that contain the data you need.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Gysbert,

okay. That "...as fast as your...network can deliver..." is exactly what I am concerned about when it comes to users accessing documents from outside, over the web or via VPN... so I guess I will stick to loading the actual qvd's.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler