Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can anyone help with loading a QVD that doesn't exist?

Hi,

I have a process that adds to a QVD file incrementally. This is fairly straight forward in that I load the qvd content then add the fresh data from a resident table before storing it again as the original QVD. Once the loop is created then I am fine.

My issue is creating the script that will run first time when the QVD doesn't exist to be loaded at the start. I know that I need some form of conditional load stage to create an "empty" QVD before the incremental process can start. 

Does anybody have a standard approach for this? My alternative is to "create" and install the initial qvd but I want something more robust.

Thanks,

Keith

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

I think Method 1 should work for you

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

4 Replies
sunny_talwar

I think Method 1 should work for you

Capture.PNG

marcus_sommer

In addition to the suggestions from Sunny you could just comment this part by the first run and enabling it afterwards again. This is easy and suitable for rather simple cases which are unlikely to change in the future and should there be any exception you could easily do it again.

For more complex cases which might need quite unregular adjustments in any kind it might be more suitable to control this from the outside with the help of variables. I use something like this by loading a global excel-file which contained the load-type and if needed a period (for each qvw) to branch per if-statement the load into 'full', 'partial' or 'incremental' loadings. The reason for it is that many of our reports are based on a whole bunch of chained generators and datamodels with hundreds/thousands of qvd's - and in this way the loading could be controlled from a centralized place.

- Marcus

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thank you to both of you for the quick responses. I think my instance is a very simple case. There will be points where I want to "delete" the qvd in order to start with a new set of cumulative data. This method will allow me to do that.

Thanks.