Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Can qlikview directly connect to databases via JDBC/ODBC

i am looking for a way to connect qlikview directly to DBs like infobright,Vertica,greenplum etc.

i would like to avoid copying data to qlikview memory data-structure.

can it be done.

Thx,

Asaf

5 Replies
rbecher
MVP
MVP

Hi,

you can connect directly via ODBC/JDBC to these sources and perform any SQL statement in the load script. But, even if you want to show only query results (aggregations, not the detailed data) from these sources the data (results) needs to copied into the QlikView memory. QlikView without any data makes no sense..

- Ralf

Astrato.io Head of R&D
Not applicable
Author

i would like to avoid copy data into QV dedicated data structure since the amount of data is very big , more than 1TB.

my question is if i can approch directly to the DB.

i am not sure i understood your answer the first part outline it is possible doing so and the second outline i need to copy data. please advice.

rbecher
MVP
MVP

What else then you would load into the QlikView data structure? Because without any QlikView loaded data structure you would have no application. All QlikView dashboard elements are related to the loaded data.

So, now you can decide if you want to load the raw data of the sources (1 TB, which get probably compessed to around 100 GB in memory) or results from SQL queries against the raw data of the sources (aggregations, slices, what ever you have selected).

Astrato.io Head of R&D
Greg_Williams
Employee
Employee

Greenplum offers ODBC and OLEDB drivers which QV can use to import the data.

Not applicable
Author

And do not forget that you could work in a hybrid way, in-memory and physical (sql to a table in a DB) in the same app. DirectDiscovey's  functionality name.