Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't open a document with Semantic Load and Section Access

Hi all

I have a document that is using a Semantic Load in the script and when I put a Section Access and reload-save the document, I can't open or reload it anymore. But if I remove the dimension that is using Semantic Load, the Section Access works well and I can edit and reload normally.

Does anybody know if those two instructions can't be used together?

Thank you very much for the help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello,

I see now, that there's not a problem in semantic load nor in section access. Since you reduce data strictly and the records have no link to the section access, those are reduced (deleted from memory) so the user (any user) has no records to see, so the document cannot be opened.

Basically, you don't want one user see some records and another user see some other records, when data reduction will make sense. If this is actually the case, then I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

In your case, I'd use OSUser() or QVUser() functions in sheet properties to decide which users are allowed / not allowed to see which sheets. If you have an undetermined number of users, this will become really difficult and you will have to use a different work around. As NTNAME field in section access supports Active Directory group names, this will be probably easier to manage, instead of individual accesses for each user.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello,

Although I've never used both in the same document, my guess is that since Semantic tables are not logic tables (are not linked as logic tables are) if you point your reduction field in section access to one of those stored in or involved with the semantic load the document won't open, as it's unable to reduce data properly.

Hope that helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi!

The problem is that the Semantic load doesn't get involved with the section Access; there are independent Dimesions without any relationship. I use the Section Access to control the User-Sheet visibility, so the field reduction is not involved with other parts of the data.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

If you are not reducing data, then you may have to uncheck "Reduce Data based on Section Access" and "Strict Exclusion" in your Settings menu, Document Properties, "On Open" tab, since it doesn't make any sense if you don't have a reduction field linked to your actual data.

Under certain circumstances, as far as I remember, working with server documents, it didn't opened when there was an island in your data model.

Hope that helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Miguel,

First of all thanks for your help, maybe I didn't use the correct words there; so I create a little example of what I want to do; I only want to reduce some information to control which sheets a user can view.

hmmm do you know if there is another way to control what sheets are visible to certain users?

Thank you for your help!

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello,

I see now, that there's not a problem in semantic load nor in section access. Since you reduce data strictly and the records have no link to the section access, those are reduced (deleted from memory) so the user (any user) has no records to see, so the document cannot be opened.

Basically, you don't want one user see some records and another user see some other records, when data reduction will make sense. If this is actually the case, then I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

In your case, I'd use OSUser() or QVUser() functions in sheet properties to decide which users are allowed / not allowed to see which sheets. If you have an undetermined number of users, this will become really difficult and you will have to use a different work around. As NTNAME field in section access supports Active Directory group names, this will be probably easier to manage, instead of individual accesses for each user.

Hope that helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi!

Ok, I thought that section access only reduce the data of the dimension that has the Script, no the entire document. Well I' m going to use this functions solve our problem.

Thanks for your help! 😉