Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Column as a flag by prefixing

Hello,

I'm QVbeginner and I would like to fill some field in table as flag.

I have table with many columns, about 1 mil. records about accounts from database. I need to create new column as flag: 0 = the row is'nt project/invest, 1 = the row is project/invest.

I know the investment according to the prefix of a specific column in Main table (col. Code). But prefixes are not fixed, prefixes may change each year, so I need load it from XLS spreadsheet.

Main

YearCol2Code...
IsInvProj
2011...CGB_15845689
CGH_1548666
CGI_1580125

Prefixes

YearPrefixProjectsPrefixInvest
2011CGB_CGIP_
2012CGP_CGI_

Please advice how to effectively perform column, what I need to do steps and mapping. Or a completely different approach? I have only idea with create concat from year and prefix "2011CBG_" and it compare with Year+Code in table Main. But how...

For mapping I can read PrefixProjects and PrefixInvest as two separatelly table.

Thanks,

O.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

I think you already know the answer from what you've said, but maybe just don't know the function! You should use ApplyMap()

Map_PrefixProjects:

MAPPING LOAD

Year&PrefixProjects,

From Excel....;

Map_PrefixInvest

MAPPING LOAD

Year&PrefixInvest,

From Excel...;

Data:

LOAD

YourOtherFields,

ApplyMap('Map_PrefixProjects',Year&SubField(Code,'_',1)&'_',

ApplyMap('Map_PrefixInvest',Year&SubField(Code,'_',1)&'_',0)) AS Flag_Project

FROM....;

Hope this helps,

Jason

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

I think you already know the answer from what you've said, but maybe just don't know the function! You should use ApplyMap()

Map_PrefixProjects:

MAPPING LOAD

Year&PrefixProjects,

From Excel....;

Map_PrefixInvest

MAPPING LOAD

Year&PrefixInvest,

From Excel...;

Data:

LOAD

YourOtherFields,

ApplyMap('Map_PrefixProjects',Year&SubField(Code,'_',1)&'_',

ApplyMap('Map_PrefixInvest',Year&SubField(Code,'_',1)&'_',0)) AS Flag_Project

FROM....;

Hope this helps,

Jason

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I think that's exactly what I needed.

Many thanks...

O.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Jason,

Is it possible to create only one mapping table by concatenating the two needed parts?

What's the reason you use Subfield instead of Index?

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

I'm not sure you can concatenate mapping tables.  Give it a go, otherwise you could create a standard data table using CONCATENATE and then build the mapping table from this, then drop the standard table.

Using Index(), or Left(), or similar usually means you have to know how many characters the prefix will be.  Using SubField(), the delimiter (underscore in this case) can be anywhere in the string and it will still work.  Besides, ApplyMap() and SubField() are two of my favourite functions...